Figs/black walnut

figsrfun(7b)March 19, 2012

Does anybody know or can confirm whether or not common figs are intolerant of the toxin associated with black walnut tress? Id like to plant figs in the vicinity of several old walnut trees but don't want to waste my time if they won't live. Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
BronxFigs

figsrfun....

Don't know the answer to your question, but don't blow a gasket if the Walnut trees are toxic to figs. Just grow the trees in containers...and enjoy the fruit of both trees.

Think outside the box! : ) YOU create the environment for your figs. Just side-step Mother Nature. Yes...figs ARE fun!

BronxFigs

Bookmark   March 19, 2012 at 7:32PM
polyphemus(7)

Well if they are subject to any toxins from the black walnut trees please don't tell my oldest Brown Turkey Trees that have been producing about thirty feet from my Black Walnut tree since 1980.

Bookmark   March 19, 2012 at 10:15PM
figsrfun(7b)

Thanks. Ive got 50 acres on which to plant the 65 or so trees I've either propagated or purchased over the winter so space is not the issue. Their is simply an area around the garden periphery where a few walnut trees stand and where I'd like to integrate a few figs if they are tolerant. There are many lists of resistant plants found online but no reference to figs found.

Bookmark   March 19, 2012 at 10:23PM
More Discussions
Hardy Chicago
Been enjoying ripe figs from our inground Hardy Chicago and...
dieseler
Fig picture
Testing the picture function . Drag and drop from computer...
dieseler
I'm Back
Hello all
Aaron
Rooting Question
Hello All - I am trying to root some fig cuttings....
briana_2006
I just bought a fig tree!!
Hi all, I recently bought a fig tree, a "Lattarula"...
mssfiggy
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™