fig trees in astoria,ny

marius67(6)March 31, 2010

Hi everybody,i've been in nyc,in astoria for the last three days,and...being a fig lover,i was very impressed about how many fig trees(not bushes) i've seen on almost every street or gang,or garage drive...

(i'm from cleveland,ohio),but nobody knows exactly what kind of fig(name) got on his back yard.Anybody,here on this forum knows what greeks varietes are here,in astoria,queens,brooklyn??? Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ben_in_sofla

Marius, with Astoria NYC, being a very ethnic (Greek and Italian)area and having grown up there, I can attest that many of these trees you see, originated from cuttings brought in from Italy and Greece. I doubt many of these owners know the exact variety they have, other than white or black, etc.. You can wait till you see the fruit ripen and ask the homeowners if they know the name and possibly if they'll let you have a fig and a leaf to identify it. Take a picture of the leaf, the whole fig and then cut the fig in half and take another picture, use a quarter for size reference. I doubt they'll refuse a small cutting, if you ask nicely.

You can post the pictures here and start to get some details about the variety.

Bookmark   April 1, 2010 at 7:39AM
More Discussions
Black Jack fig not growing side limbs
I purchased 2 two gallon Black Jack Figs from Walmart,...
jeremie428
Black Madeira
In my old oven :) M
bluemoonlight
Negronne 2014
Pictures are from one tree but two different fig fruit....
bluemoonlight
Looking at Bare Plants
Was in garage looking at the bare plants (dormant)...
dieseler
How to prune a Ficus Lyrata.
Hi Everyone, Im new to this forum, I hope there is...
Goldie_1
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™