What kind of birds came to visit my garden?

CrazyDaisy_68April 18, 2009

It's that time of year for me to come back out of hibernation and get back into gardening again!

I have never seen these birds in past years but over the past week I have seen these guys in my garden a number of times. What exactly are they?

Sorry, not the best pictures and I was in a rush to get the pics and didn't want to waste time trying to get my zoom lens on then missing them again! BUT, you can see that they are large birds and they waddled away and didn't fly away.... ????

Curious too why I see them this year and not past years? What are they looking for in my garden?

Ang

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
oilpainter(3)

Do you have water nearby. They look very much like sandpipers, with their long necks and beaks. They are probably on their way back from their winter migration and stopped over in your yard for a rest.

Bookmark   April 18, 2009 at 4:16PM
Pudge 2b

I don't think the legs are long enough for any of the Sandpipers. They kind of look like maybe Ptarmigans, or Grouse, and if you've seen them several times over the course of a week, maybe they're planning to hang around for a while and nest. It would be excellent if you can get a closer shot.

Bookmark   April 18, 2009 at 5:27PM
Konrad___far_north(3..just outside of Edmonton)

Agree, or something in the Partridge family.

Konrad

Here is a link that might be useful: Partridge

Bookmark   April 18, 2009 at 6:25PM
marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario

They seem to have long beaks, though, so they wouldn't be grouse. I first thought of American Woodcock, but they look too big for that. Just checked the bird book and all the sandpiper type birds have longer legs. You should try to get a closer picture, Ang. Whatever they are, they might be in their winter plumage still so it would be a little harder to ID.

Bookmark   April 18, 2009 at 10:39PM
Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden

Hey Ang- Where abouts are you? Those little guys look like a pair of Pintail or Sharptail Grouse. They are very abundant in open spaces and grasslands at this time of year, even in the cities. They nest in May usually and often build their nests under heavy underbrush such as hedges. They do fly but more like a chicken. Low to the ground in sprint flight from bush to bush. They are probably looking for food and water as the grain fields are pretty bare.
Maybe?

Ginny

Bookmark   April 18, 2009 at 10:48PM
CrazyDaisy_68

Ginny, I am in Edmonton. Having googled the Sharptail Grouse I would say that is it! They had that same "speckled" look to them and definately that body shape/size.

I will make sure I put the zoom lens on and keep an eye out for them over the next few days... assuming they come back!

Bookmark   April 20, 2009 at 3:13PM
Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden

I'm in Edmonton too and have had them visit even here in this old part of town. They really do act a lot like chickens. Always looking for food and a place to hide out till the grass gets tall. Maybe they will be back.
Haven't seen any this year but my dogs are pretty good at keeping any birds at bay. The bunnies are fed outside the fence and they seem to know it!

Ginny

Bookmark   April 20, 2009 at 4:04PM
More Discussions
Blackberry 2014 update...
The other thread was getting too long. Please post...
Konrad___far_north
plant swapping in Manitoba
Hi all~ Blustery winter day throughout Manitoba......
bratwithcat
Mature spruce with double leader
Hi everyone, I have a question that I can't find the...
Violetjune Zone 3
Has anyone tried bale gardens?
Due to my rampant quack grass this summer I took out...
CLBlakey
Primocane raspberries? Zone 3 north of Edmonton
Does anyone around Edmonton grow a primocane raspberry?...
lindz6
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™