How many of you grow old-fashioned roses?

lavender_lass(4b)June 14, 2010

I know a lot of us on the forum grow roses, but I was wondering how many grow old-fashioned roses? I planted several this year, hoping they'll do better with our harsh winters and short, hot summers. What roses do you grow? What are your favorites? Do you want to include a picture of a favorite rose? Do you have any favorite companion plants that you grow with your roses?

Thanks for responding. Not sure what would do well in our area, I ordered a few of several different types of roses (they were my birthday and Christmas presents this year. LOL) I have a few damasks, gallicas, ramblers, portlands, one alba, a couple of bourbons by the house, some rugosas, a few hybrid musks and a couple of polyanthas. Roughly half are once blooming and half are repeat bloomers. I'm really looking forward to them getting bigger and enjoying all the beautiful flowers...and the fragrance :)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tammyinwv(z6/WV)

I have a couple. I have no idea what their names are. The red is my favorite. This big pink one, I was just talkign about yanking, because I didnt remember ever seeing it bloom.

close-up

The color on this one is more accurately a pale pink

This shows the more truer color

Tammy

Bookmark   June 14, 2010 at 11:34AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
schoolhouse_gw

Tammy, that is an old Damask rose I believe. I have this too, and we always called it "The Outhouse Rose" because it grew near our outhouse at home in town. I brought some with me when I moved to my own home in the country. I love it, smells just like rose talc powder.

Bookmark   June 14, 2010 at 11:47AM
More Discussions
Weekend Trivia: Sunday
Good morning all. It is warmer here today, but seems...
cyn427
Here's what my Garden looks like!!
The icicles are getting crazy big, but they look pretty...
midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
reminder of spring
post your spring pics from last year This post was...
davids10 z7a nv.
Hillside cottage garden
Hello! I am going to make my first ever attempt at...
rickcrum
Weekend Trivia: Sunday
Brrr, woke up to no power this morning and the house...
cyn427
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™