How many of you grow old-fashioned roses?

lavender_lass(4b)June 14, 2010

I know a lot of us on the forum grow roses, but I was wondering how many grow old-fashioned roses? I planted several this year, hoping they'll do better with our harsh winters and short, hot summers. What roses do you grow? What are your favorites? Do you want to include a picture of a favorite rose? Do you have any favorite companion plants that you grow with your roses?

Thanks for responding. Not sure what would do well in our area, I ordered a few of several different types of roses (they were my birthday and Christmas presents this year. LOL) I have a few damasks, gallicas, ramblers, portlands, one alba, a couple of bourbons by the house, some rugosas, a few hybrid musks and a couple of polyanthas. Roughly half are once blooming and half are repeat bloomers. I'm really looking forward to them getting bigger and enjoying all the beautiful flowers...and the fragrance :)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tammyinwv(z6/WV)

I have a couple. I have no idea what their names are. The red is my favorite. This big pink one, I was just talkign about yanking, because I didnt remember ever seeing it bloom.

close-up

The color on this one is more accurately a pale pink

This shows the more truer color

Tammy

Bookmark   June 14, 2010 at 11:34AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
schoolhouse_gw

Tammy, that is an old Damask rose I believe. I have this too, and we always called it "The Outhouse Rose" because it grew near our outhouse at home in town. I brought some with me when I moved to my own home in the country. I love it, smells just like rose talc powder.

Bookmark   June 14, 2010 at 11:47AM
More Discussions
Weekend Trivia: Sunday
Good morning dear cottagers. Today has brought with...
cyn427 (zone 7)
Removing leaf mulch
Anyone in Northeast Ohio remove the leaf mulch (or...
schoolhouse_gw
Hardiness zone
How do I place my hardiness zone next to my name? ...
marielle(zone4b-5a)
Loving my coleus combos this year
I have used coleus plants in bare spots around my garden...
winsomegardener
Introduction! (plus a question about gaura)
Hello, all! I'm new to the forum, but have been gardening...
michellecoxwrites
Sponsored Products
Modern Indoor/Outdoor Braided Accent Rug: Colonial Mills Rugs Corsica Seagrass
Home Depot
Indoor Ceiling Fans: Hampton Bay Larson 52 in. Brushed Nickel Ceiling Fan AL420-
$89.97 | Home Depot
Designers Fountain 97511 Amherst Semi-Flush Light in Burnt Umber Finish Multicol
$179.50 | Hayneedle
Bolla Exterior Ceiling Flush Mount
Lightology
Comfort Mats: Rhino Anti-Fatigue Mats Safety Supplies Housewares Alligator
Home Depot
Violet Rectangle Filigree Frame
$13.99 | zulily
Verus Sports Chuck-A-Ball Ladderball Set - TG100BAG
$27.99 | Hayneedle
Sage Hotel New York Solid Sheet Set
$24.99 | zulily
People viewed this after searching for: