Success: Dan's Method

jenia(5b NY)March 17, 2010

I used Dan's method for all of my cuttings (after my first heartbreaking loss from overwatering) and have lost 5 cuttings out of more cuttings than I am willing to admit to publicly. Those 5 were all from the same batch, never put out roots and never sprouted leaves. Instead of molding, they just rotted and smelled like ammonia. I suspect that they froze during shipping.

I discovered that some varieties are much more sensitive to excessive moisture than others (Mary Lane seemed to be the most sensitive.)

Otherwise things have gone fairly well as you can see below.

C. J.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wildforager(5b-WI)

Oh boy! You'll be loaded for bear when you come to the swap in Buffalo. Nice work, you inspire me.

Peace,
Little John

Bookmark   March 17, 2010 at 8:41PM
youngbonner

CJ:

Your pics look like my xtra bedroom; I just have 60 cuttings going. My success rate is high also 90+% and my success was due to using Dan's techniques that he so generously shares. I think that washing the cuttings in anti bacterial soap and then a 10% chlorox dip is very important. Further, I bought Ebay cuttings and washed them and put them into the fridge. When I took them out I should have washed them again, but didn't and nearly all of those cuttings developed a little mold - I fixed it but I will be certain to wash the cuttings right before cupping.

young

Bookmark   March 17, 2010 at 9:11PM
turndav

Jenia,

Wow! I have four bins and I know I have issues. Impressive. I also appreciate what Dan has shared and it has been both successful and helpful for me as well.

Re: Your second photograph. 1) How often do you water those cutting with nice leaves and roots (I suppose)? 2) Do you put them outdoors and bring them in at night or was that just to snap the shot in natural light?

JD

Bookmark   March 17, 2010 at 10:00PM
danab_z9_la

CJ,

Your room looks like mine did last year with all of those stacked bins. Nice to see all of those new plants.

Dan

Bookmark   March 17, 2010 at 11:17PM
jenia(5b NY)

Little John,

It's a long way from cupped cuttings to a fig swap...but even with a 50% attrition rate, I should have something to bring to the party.

Young,

I had some minor mold problems. I wiped the offending cuttings with a paper towel saturated with a 10% bleach solution. Everything but the one batch of cuttings survived with no problem.

J.D.,

I finger-test the cuttings every day for moisture and use a spray bottle (set to "stream" rather than "mist") to spot-spray the cups.

The light was from my unobstructed south-facing living room windows. I live in the sticks. After 30 years of living in NYC dungeons, that was was my one major concession to my sanity.

Dan,

Thank you for sharing your knowledge and experience. We all owe you a lot.

C.J.

Bookmark   March 17, 2010 at 11:50PM
fatnsassytexan(9)

C.J., all I can say is WOW!!! Those look like they're coming along nicely. A beautiful sight. Congratulations! Tim

Bookmark   March 18, 2010 at 10:25AM
cath41(6a)

Way to go Jenia!
Cath

Bookmark   March 18, 2010 at 5:36PM
svanessa(9/SoCal)

CJ,

Thank you! I don't feel so obsessive now...I only have 7 bins full. ;-)

Sue

Bookmark   March 18, 2010 at 6:18PM
paully22

Thanks for the posting CJ. I don't have as many rooted and good reminder for me & that is "Be Tidy".

Paully

Bookmark   March 18, 2010 at 9:24PM
cath41(6a)

Way to go Jenia!
Cath

Bookmark   March 22, 2010 at 1:34PM
More Discussions
looking for smoche fig cutting
Hi, I got a smoche fig plant from a guy in NC a few...
chickenfeedfarm
Trade blueberries for figs (cuttings) 25 for 1
Hi, I am new to this forum and have become recently...
j-a-k-e
site and variety selection
hi, all, I'm new to California and am excited to try...
emmers_m
Rooting Question
Hello All - I am trying to root some fig cuttings....
briana_2006
Seeking Alma and Conadria in North Florida
Hi, desperately seeking Ficus carica 'Alma' and Ficus...
ksosnow
Sponsored Products
Radient Wall Sconce by Rich Brilliant Willing
$750.00 | Lumens
Couristan 3089-1863 Five Seasons Montecito Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug - Cream/Sky B
$19.00 | Hayneedle
DW 3528 Single Row LED Strip Light 240/m 10mm wide Foot
EnvironmentalLights.com
Goa Rug by Mat-The-Basics
$873.00 | Lumens
Santa & Cole | Leonardo Pendant Light
YLighting
Colonial Mills Rustica Storage Basket - 18 diam. x 12 in. - RU20A018X018
$104.99 | Hayneedle
Couristan Everest Hamptons Area Rug - Sage Multicolor - 0766/6398-3.11X3.11OCTAG
$129.00 | Hayneedle
Endurance Seafood Tool Set
$21.95 | FRONTGATE
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™