fig planting and care

abfromnjMarch 6, 2011

I live here in South Jersey and have wanted a fig tree for years. I am going to start looking to purchase one this year but was wondering a couple of things. First what kind is best for my area? Also, when is the best time to plant a fig tree. I would like to plant it this spring if possible. And where is best spot for a fig tree i.e., full sun, part sun, shade,. Thanks for the help.

Al

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
northeastnewbie

Send me an email I can get you started you can come to my house and pick out your own tree. look at my set up of in ground trees container trees greenhouse figs and whatnot.
I have true cultivars not big box store plants. I am in gloucester county.. rheyco@comcast.net

Bookmark   March 6, 2011 at 9:14PM
ejp3(7NY)

Plant in May. Full sun if possible. Is it going to be in the ground or in a pot? The last question is important because it will determine what varieties will work.

Bookmark   March 6, 2011 at 10:24PM
foolishpleasure

I do plant now in Pots and keep them inside. Lately it is nice fifties and sunny. I wheel the pots out in teh sun then get them in after teh sun is gone. My five Fig trees are sprouting one vigorously. I call that give your tree a head start. After all the danger of the frost is gone the trees and the pots are going into the ground. Beside the five old trees I just planted two Black mission yesterday. I beat our lousy cold weather in Maryland that way. It is hard work but better than setting on the couch watching TV or playing these violent games on the computer.

Bookmark   March 7, 2011 at 2:25AM
bonsaist(Z6/ Bethlehem, Pa)

Hello,
Here's some information on growing figs in our climate. I hope it helps.
Bass

Here is a link that might be useful: Fig care

Bookmark   March 7, 2011 at 7:33AM
abfromnj

thanks everyone for the help. looking forward to starting. @northeastnewbie i will send you an email I am in camden county.

Bookmark   March 8, 2011 at 9:52AM
More Discussions
Cincinnati, OH Hardy chicago fig Hardy chicago fig 2015
The picture below is carried over from last year. Hardy...
Steve, Z (6Bground,5B roof) Cincy,OH
Anyone growing Ischia fig trees?
Just bought a Ischia fig tree at Lowe's. Suppose to...
Sueanne75
Need help for my fig tree cutting
Hi There, I propagated over 10 fig trees indoor from...
pacifica9231
Fiddle Leaf Fig Tree (indoor) help!
I bought a fiddle leaf fig tree from home depot just...
desdurso
Fruits on Cuttings
Should I snip off these figs off the cuttings? I'm...
tobybul2 - Zone 6 SW MI
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™