How cutting leaves is supported without roots

foolishpleasureMarch 28, 2011

I have cuttings which developed 4 leaves and no root yet. How these leaves get moisture and nutrients without the service of the roots. The leaves look very green and healthy.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ejp3(7NY)

Fool, I have many instances of the same and cuttings that sprout figs before roots. I just keep them in a humid environment and eventually the roots catch up. But I know that the experts will probably say to shear off the leaves (definately the figs) for the greater good. I don't disagree, but i am no expert

Bookmark   March 28, 2011 at 9:52PM
brandon7 TN_zone(7)

The leaf growth is support by food and moisture stored in the cutting from back when the cutting was a part of the parent tree. Removal/shearing of these leaves would definitely be counterproductive and only slow root growth! They are providing energy and hormones needed for that growth. Providing a moist environment (like in a moisture tent) will keep the leaves from desiccating the cutting.

Bookmark   March 28, 2011 at 11:38PM
nypd5229

Most of my cuttings sprouted leaves first before roots. I started them in water. But once they went in a tote with high humidity, the roots quickly caught up. In some instances, the roots actually surpassed the growth of leaves. Make sure to remove all figlets. Soak up needed energy.

Bookmark   March 29, 2011 at 8:44AM
foolishpleasure

Thanks I just was wondering. I am kepping them in humid environment under plastic tent.

Bookmark   March 29, 2011 at 12:23PM
More Discussions
New Member to the Family.
This is Newton. My first fig tree. Picked him up today....
chopstikkninja
Looking for Cuttings
Hi All. Been looking for fig cuttings. I have 2 Chicago...
tobybul2 - Zone 6 SW MI
is this fig mosaic virus?
Hi, I just bought this Panache fig tree a couple weeks...
merriberri
Fig picture
Testing the picture function . Drag and drop from computer...
dieseler
Italian Honey
She was all fine on till August 2014 and then look...
bluemoonlight
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™