French Hollyhocks...when to prune

ilovemyroses(8 Dallas TX)June 26, 2013

I bought some small plants in March, they bloomed beautifully since then, about 2 feet tall. But now, the blooms are spent, and the plants look TERRIBLE!! Some rust, but mainly just yellowish, dried up leaves (regular irrigation and nothing surrounding is dry). It just is acting like it is 'over'.

BUT, I do want the reseeding. Not quite sure if the seeds are there?

TOO, I read that many bloom through the summer??

These just bloomed and are done.

Sorry so rambling, but I just don't know what to do with them...is this normal...did i kill them?? When are the seeds formed? Where? What do I do with these really ugly plants I SO want to SP! Do I cut them to the ground and they come back THIS SUMMER from the base, or is my summer bloom done?

Thnaks...these biennials are confusing!! :)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
memo(Zone 4B Nebraska)

I'm not sure what "French" Hollyhocks are but with the big old fashioned ones, I cut them back to about 12" from the ground and lay the stocks on the ground near them. When the seeds dry out I crush the pods and sprinkle them around though Mother Nature will take care of that eventually if I don't get to it. You should get some new basal leaves popping up around the base of the old stock and it will grow some this summer, next year those will grow and become your new flowers, then they will be done. You'll have to plant or scatter some of the seeds each year to keep a progression of them going since they only last two years. Next years flowers will be longer lasting and much fuller than they were this year.

Bookmark   June 27, 2013 at 3:43PM
mrtulin

If you know or can figure it out, you gotta give us the latin name. Not to be picky, but common names are as common as grass and often vary.
Thanks,
idabean

Bookmark   June 27, 2013 at 10:09PM
ilovemyroses(8 Dallas TX)

Hmmm. Interesting. These are different than the tall ones but I bet the same principal applies. They r so ugly now, I think I'll try that, and just set aside the cutoff part to seed. Thanks !!

Bookmark   June 27, 2013 at 10:13PM
ilovemyroses(8 Dallas TX)

, French Hollyhock 'Zebrina' (Malva sylvestris)

Bookmark   June 27, 2013 at 10:14PM
NHBabs z4b-5a NH

Malva is a perennial, different from true hollyhocks which are biennials and so have to have the seeds planted to continue in the garden over time. Zebrina is one plant that you probably don't want to leave all the cut stems to drop seed. It has a reputation for seeding extremely prolifically to the point of being a pest in some areas, so maybe set out a few for seed in case the original plant doesn't survive, but you may not want to let all of them loose on your garden.

Bookmark   June 28, 2013 at 6:01PM
More Discussions
A picture from everyone , 2014
I remember loving the threads that would get started...
Lilyfinch z7 mid tn
Boxwood not looking good
It's blowing snow and cold here today and the boxwood...
schoolhouse_gw
" Daffs eaten "
Hi, For quite awhile. I couldn't get on. Now this...
hollyhocker_123
Weekend Trivia: Sunday
Good morning all. It is supposed to warm up into the...
cyn427
Blackberry lily (Belamcanda chinensis)
This is my attempt to post. This is a plant I haven't...
frogview00
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™