Altaglow [ornamental] Saskatoon?

Konrad___far_north(3..just outside of Edmonton)April 21, 2013

It's a rare species, white-fruited...if you're growing this one I would like to hear more about it, overall performance etc. link below.

from the web...
ALTAGLOW
Another selection from the Peace River country, Altaglow was introduced in 1935 by Brooks Research Station in Alberta. It was released in 1960. It is considered an ornamental rather than a fruiting variety. It has an erect columnar form and brilliant fall color. With a height of eight feet, its foliage is retained into fall, changing from dark green to deep purple, bright red, and yellow. It is self-sterile and white-fruited. But is readily pollinated by blue-fruited saskatoons.

Here is a link that might be useful: Altaglow

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Konrad___far_north(3..just outside of Edmonton)

from another site.....

Altaglow
Originated in Red Deer
River valley, Alberta (51N), and selected by A. Griffin prior to 1923; wild plant transplanted to Alberta Horticultural Research Station, Brooks.

Bookmark   April 21, 2013 at 6:18PM
weeper_11(2b SK)

I found this on a U of Idaho extension page..describes Altaglow as being 20 ft rather than 8...

A tall, columnar shrub that grows about 20 ft tall with a spread of 10 ft. The berries are large, white, and sweet but bland. Self sterile, so plant another cultivar nearby to set fruit. Produces brilliant fall foliage and was selected for use in large landscapes.

On another site I read it described as having sparse white flowers in spring(this site also described it as having great fall color and being tall).

Can't find any info anywhere on where to find it though!

Here is a link that might be useful: Altaglow

Bookmark   April 22, 2013 at 9:44PM

Thanks weeper for your effort,..I've seen this too, not much else can be found.

Just wondering if someone grows this,..was able to get some scion wood at exchange at Devonian Garden, hopefully it will take and can do a little experimentation.

Still, ..conflicting report, one source say's it came from Peace river, the other from Red Deer, would be nice to know if it still exist in the wild.

Bookmark   April 24, 2013 at 1:33AM
Anyasco(2 - 3 AB)

Now I saw your graft I did some searching Konrad, Greengate Garden Centre in Calgary supposedly has them but it hasn't arrived on their trucks yet. I'm gonna check there when I go to Calgary in a few weeks and maybe get one, I'm excited about trying it out!

Bookmark   May 6, 2013 at 6:47PM

Great,...you'll be ahead of the game, let us know how they make out.
I was supposed to show you about grafting but got side tracked or the heat got me when digging trees LOL.

Bookmark   May 6, 2013 at 8:01PM
Anyasco(2 - 3 AB)

I'm glad I wasn't the only one affected by the heat, sunglasses are on my list now! I don't know if I'll be doing any grafting soon but I'll definitely ask you first, you've done amazing things in your nursery :)

Bookmark   May 6, 2013 at 9:48PM

It looks like the graft has taken, [onto another blue fruited one] it will need several years to tell if it will be compatible, [not being rejected].

Bookmark   June 2, 2013 at 11:35PM
More Discussions
Polar Bear Willow
I posted this last night but it seems to have disappeared....
sazzyrose
crabapple trees
The woodpeckers have done a real number on one of my...
marricgardens
Native plum wood collection along with many others.
If anybody in my area calgary or alberta is looking...
mattpf
What type of apples do northern hardy rootstocks produce?
Has anyone left various known rootstocks grow to see...
sandbur2
Canada's Quest to Breed Super Hardy Roses Article
I came across this interesting article on the rose...
prairie_northrose (3a north of Calgary, AB, Canada)
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™