Fig cutting question

philly_gardenerMarch 17, 2012

I have a potted violet de Bordeaux (spelling?) that I placed in my garage over the winter. I live near philadelphia and now the temps are at 60s and 70s during the day.

Today I moved my plant outside the garage. I saw tiny buds on the tips of the branches.

Can I cut off a couple of branches now and plant them in pots at this time of the year? The branches I want to cut off has green leaf buds on them already.�

One of the branch I want to cut off �and grow in a pot has small green figs from last October that did not get a chance to ripe before �winter came last year. Can I leave those green figs there or should I pick them off?

Thank youï¼Â

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bonsaist(Z6/ Bethlehem, Pa)

You can take the cutting if you want to propagate it. I would personally leave them at this time and let the tree grow at this point. You can do air layering later in summer.

Bass

Bookmark   March 18, 2012 at 10:17AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Edymnion(7a)

Yes, air layering is a much better option for propagation.

Basically, you take a plastic soda bottle, cut it in half, and place it over a branch. Fill it with dirt while its on the tree, and the branch will start to root like it was a cutting while still being attached to the tree. That way, you never get a dead cutting, as they either don't root (and no harm done), or they do root and you can then easily cut it off below the soda bottle and have a rooted tree ready to go right from the start.

Bookmark   March 18, 2012 at 1:21PM
More Discussions
When to prune fig trees?
Hello to all,my fig tree is bare now and I was wondering...
coconutman
Black Madeira
In my old oven :) M
bluemoonlight
Cincinnati, OH Hardy chicago fig Hardy chicago fig 2015
The picture below is carried over from last year. Hardy...
Steve, Micro (6B ground, 5B roof)
Black Jack fig not growing side limbs
I purchased 2 two gallon Black Jack Figs from Walmart,...
jeremie428
How to prune a Ficus Lyrata.
Hi Everyone, Im new to this forum, I hope there is...
Goldie_1
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™