Need to Foil the Rabbit

nutsaboutflowers(2b/3a)April 22, 2011

The darned rabbit that ate my rose bushes this winter, is now going after all my green bits coming up. There's tulips, allium, crocuses, etc.

How does everyone else deal with rabbits? Does human or cat hair help, or is that just a myth? If it does work, do I have to litter the yard with it? Or, would garden netting help?

I used to think the thing was cute, but not any more. I wish the voles would eat him, LOL ! Oh wait ! I wish the rabbit would eat the voles. No, wait ! Maybe I could rent a bunch of cats and dogs and get rid of the lot =:)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
northspruce(z3a MB CDA)

Blood meal works great, applied thickly enough that you can see it around the new sprouts. The years I forget to use it (such as this one.. argh) the darn bunny eats all my tulips.

Oh and don't believe the hype about dogs, I have four and this spring there was almost as much bunny poop in my backyard as there was dog poop. >:0(

Bookmark   April 22, 2011 at 11:09PM
marricgardens

If the moles ate the rabbits, wouldn't they multiply faster? Careful what you wish for. I just sic the dog after them. If you do have rose canes, try putting them down between the plants, the thornier the canes the better. Marg

Bookmark   April 23, 2011 at 8:47AM
Konrad___far_north(3..just outside of Edmonton)

I know what you mean...it gets very discouraging...not sure if it will work, some chicken wire around,..or lay over suspended a bit on sticks, cheap and last for a while.

Bookmark   April 23, 2011 at 12:47PM
groggyfrog(3)

I've also noted bloodmeal works well. Last summer I bought a large cheap shaker (the kind restaurants put grated parmesan in) and used this to sprinkle bloodmeal around the sites I was most worried about.

The only downside to bloodmeal/bonemeal is you have to regularly reapply after rain.

Haven't tried the human/dog hair but I've also heard about this. I also read somewhere that garlic tends to ward off rabbits (or maybe that's just to keep away the vampire rabbits ;) )

Bookmark   April 23, 2011 at 1:19PM
northspruce(z3a MB CDA)

Yes you do have to reapply after rain but IME the bunnies are only interested in the newest shoots so you shouldn't need to worry after they start blooming. IF they start blooming. I can't tell if the bunny ate the flower buds yet.

Bookmark   April 23, 2011 at 8:31PM
trisha_51(5 Nebraska)

Lots of people over here are having bunny problems, too. I put up a two foot fence and didn't have any problems.

Bookmark   April 30, 2011 at 12:05PM
More Discussions
Disappearing seedlings, help requested
I have never had problems with damping off only losing...
SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
plant swapping in Manitoba
Hi all~ Blustery winter day throughout Manitoba......
bratwithcat
Reine des Violettes
Hi, I was wondering if anyone who has been growing...
true_blue
Blackberry 2014 update...
The other thread was getting too long. Please post...
Konrad___far_north
Anyone Growing Peaches in the far north??
Hi, I bought two contender peach trees last year. Everyone...
troman1973
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™