Best tasting large tomatoes?

twroszApril 21, 2008

Okay, IÂm trying to ignore the weather for now Â

What large fruited tomatoes are you finding to give the best flavor and production? I know many stick to the old varieties such as Manitoba, Early Girl and Starfire  but, any newcomers that please your palette? For years IÂve relied upon Pilgrim, dependable and reasonably productive, though lacks in that real good tomato flavor  I want something tastier!

For smallies, I love the flavor of Sungold (cracks badly) Sweet Million and Early Cascade.

Terry

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jungseed(z4b & z2b)

Brandywine, I like all of them. Mortgage lifter is great. For new ones the Goliath either original or old-fashioned.

Bookmark   April 22, 2008 at 10:14AM
april9(3a)

Have you try Cherokee Purple? I found some in Rona last year.

April9

Bookmark   April 22, 2008 at 9:39PM
bemidjigreen(z2 MN)

If you can handle pounds and pounds of fresh eating, flavorful tomatoes, you may find carmello a nice variety. I loved this tomato but for my small family more than 1 plant is just too much--we just couldn't eat all of them and even my neighbors cried out "no more". I got the seeds from Renee's Garden, but you probably can find it on other sites.

Bookmark   April 23, 2008 at 6:52PM
twrosz

I have not tried any of the above ... but, that Carmello does indeed sound suited to this climate and also being productive and tasty ... the ideal tomato? ... I guess I'll have to wait till next year, unless by chance some of the nurseries will be carrying plants? I'll keep my eye out for the other sugguestions also ... thanks!

Terry

Bookmark   April 23, 2008 at 11:31PM
twrosz

Well, I've been reading that Early Girl is one of the better tasting varieties, and of course easy to find as transplants at this time of the year.

Terry

Bookmark   April 26, 2008 at 12:56AM
explorer_mb(z1b MB Canada)

Hi Terry,

I've found that most home grown tomatoes are very tasty,,
Alot of the heirloom varieties do have the full tomato experience...meaty and full of flavor...
Oxheart is another meaty tomato that has good flavor...
and does well in a northern climate.. I've found some of the southern ones don't get to really 'come to fruition' so to speak,, (they don't have enough time to really show what they can do, because we have such a short growing season).

But you should try many kinds, because you don't know what kind of summer we will have,, it could be hot and long, just what tomatoes love..

Happy gardening,,
Rob

Bookmark   May 2, 2008 at 10:20PM
mytime(3/4 Alaska)

I agree with Brandywine. I grew it for the first time last year. After spending the first 1/2 of the summer complaining about it (didn't seem to be setting fruit, too big, looks like it's unhealthy, etc., to the point I was already saying I wouldn't waste time growing it again), we got the first HUGE ripe tomato. Oh, my gosh. Yummy, yummy. If I can only grow one full size tomato (I can't give up my little cherry tomatoes), that will be it.

Bookmark   May 8, 2008 at 2:00AM
More Discussions
Tradescantia Overwintering and Cultural requirement
Tradescantia �Blue and Gold�...
dongdong
Bacopa Propagation from Cuttings
I have been searching the net trying to find out how...
SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
You can do without.....???
Okay I am about to hit the button on the checkout at...
What do you know about blacknot?
The last 3 years or so with more moisture during growing...
Konrad___far_north
Snows not here but lets talk roses anyways 2014
Well, this was an explosive year in the rose dept for...
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™