Seed Thief!

najoba(8b)June 8, 2012

I've been finding that often one of the well-formed seed chambers on the ripe pods is completely empty.

I think I finally figured out what is going on. In the mornings as I walk through the daylily beds, I hear such lovely melodies from a mockingbird. I had been noticing how it often is sitting on top of the fence post. No wonder it sings so prettily. I suspect it is filling up on my precious daylily seeds with its long sharp pointed beak.

I pulled out a handful of old knee-high panty hose this afternoon and slipped them over the opening pods. If the wind or some critter doesn't carry them off, I may have thwarted our seed thief.

Nancy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ed(z7aOK)

Put your finger in the valley and your thumb on the ridge. Give the pod a gentle squeeze. If it cracks open at all, it's time to harvest. Before there's any chance of spilling or loosing seeds to critters.
Ed

Bookmark   June 8, 2012 at 9:34AM
najoba(8b)

Thanks, Ed. I thought I had to wait until the whole pod turned brown. While I love listening to our state bird with its variety of song, I sure don't like enabling it to consume precious seeds.

Nancy

Bookmark   June 8, 2012 at 8:28PM
dementieva(Zone 9 - Houston)

I don't think any of the pods I harvested last year had turned entirely brown. I've been pinching some of my pods almost every day, and yesterday I finally found the first one that was ready to open!

Nate

Bookmark   June 8, 2012 at 11:08PM
More Discussions
Davisson Daylilies
I'll start by saying I've had no issues with growing...
Julia NY
Let's se those perfect "P" and "Q" daylilies!
It is time for the P and Q daylily pictures! I am cuious...
sherrygirl zone5
What are you most looking forward to this spring?
I know just having winter and all the aggravation it...
organic_kitten
Cures for Cabin Fever!
It has been too long this winter we are having!! Too...
Cindy zone 6a
24/7 daylilies in year 2
I tried the following varieties. Key Largo Moon Kokomo...
Patty W. zone 5a Illinois
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™