Moving Fig Tree from One Zone to Another?

safaribabeMarch 23, 2010

Hi,

I have 5 fig trees in zone 16/17. They all have leaves to varying degrees. One is seriously lagging and not growing but the others are pretty leaved out. Two are from the nursery this year and were root bound so they put out some leaves and went right into fruiting. I pinched the fruit for this year.

I want to move them to Zone 7/8 in the foothills of the Sierras. Both of these areas have definite microclimates so it's hard to tell exactly where I fall.

Can I take the trees up now, now that they have broken dormancy, and plant them in zone 7/8? Will the cold, if we get some late spring frost, kill them?

Typically, it's better to wait until mother's day to put out veggies. Our apple and pear trees up there are budding/flowering so they think it's spring.

What do you all think? These are all figs that do well in both of these zones as nurseries in both places carry them.

And any advice for the lagging fig? It has about 4 leaves that are small and have stayed the same size for weeks. I have applied some fertilizer. They are a yellow/green color but not totally yellow.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wildforager(5b-WI)

what varieties of fig do you have? some figs are more cold tolerant than others. the details of your varieties is pretty important here.

-Little John

Bookmark   March 24, 2010 at 12:18AM
safaribabe

Three are Garden Mission (one doing poorly), one White Genoa and one Peter's Honey.

Bookmark   March 24, 2010 at 1:02AM
satellitehead(z8 ATL Metro)

Question, due to my curiosity and possibly ignorance.... but where in the world is zone 16/17 ?

Bookmark   March 24, 2010 at 2:43PM
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

Are these trees in containers or in the ground?

Al

Bookmark   March 24, 2010 at 5:51PM
paulandirene(z7 NM)

Hi Jason,

The zones referred to here are Sunset climate zones [Sunset is a magazine based in the Bay Area of California].

For years, Sunset only covered the Western US, and until I clicked the link below, I did not know that they now have zones identified for the entire US. So, I learned something today!

Here is a link that might be useful: Sunset Climate Zones

Bookmark   March 24, 2010 at 6:56PM
satellitehead(z8 ATL Metro)

Well, I learned something too! I thought it was a typo at first, but didn't think it would be possible to double-typo like that.

Looks like I'm all 32.

Bookmark   March 24, 2010 at 10:36PM
More Discussions
Need to find a fig company
Hi together, i ´m new here and my first question is,...
depequ
New ficus lyrata & ficus elastica...cold shock?
I brought home 3 new houseplants from the hardware...
mandalynrael
Cincinnati, OH Hardy chicago fig Hardy chicago fig 2015
The picture below is carried over from last year. Hardy...
Steve, Micro (6B ground, 5B roof)
New Member to the Family.
This is Newton. My first fig tree. Picked him up today....
chopstikkninja
How to prune a Ficus Lyrata.
Hi Everyone, Im new to this forum, I hope there is...
Goldie_1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™