How are Your Evergreens This Year?

nutsaboutflowers(2b/3a)April 6, 2013

It's been a long winter.

My Brandon Cedars are holding up, my cheap WalMart evergreens (the name escapes me) look fine although the snow has them pretty spread out.

The ones that concern me are the junipers. The tips are looking dry and brown when I look out my back window. Would that be sun scald, windburn, or is there something possibly going wrong?

Are anyone else's suffering?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
runswithscissors(MT 4/5)

Have you ever tried Wilt-Pruf? I haven't tried it, but I've read that if you spray it on your evergreens it keeps them from drying out so bad in the winter.

I do know that some of my arborvatias (sorry I'm so terrible at spelling) turn that browney looking in the winter, but as soon as spring gets here they turn back to green and feel soft again.

Bookmark   April 6, 2013 at 10:37PM
don555(3a)

I've noticed a lot of browning/winter-burn on evergreens lately. It has been such a long winter this year -- freeze-up around October 20, with the ground still frozen solid now in early April... that's coming up 6 months that the evergreens can't get any moisture from the ground, so no wonder they are suffering.

Bookmark   April 7, 2013 at 1:26AM
SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC(Zone 4b-5 SE BC Canada)

My only evergreens are Lamium 'lemon frost' and they look good. Hopefully this year I will get some evergreen shrubs. A local nursery has a 50% off sale in sept that I plan to take full advantage of this year :)

I would love to see pics of peeps evergreens....I am suffering from OZE and need some relief.

Bookmark   April 7, 2013 at 2:21AM
northspruce(z3a MB CDA)

My cedar has had its bottom half eaten by starving deer. My mugo pines are past their prime and getting gangly. My Colorado blue spruce are 70-ish feet tall and lost a lot of needles the past two summers but they're certainly not dying. That's all I've got.

Bookmark   April 7, 2013 at 9:52AM
weeper_11(2b SK)

I'm sort of afraid to look. The big colorado spruce in our yard look fine, they never seem to suffer. The ones that were planted last year and the year before are probably OK because they've been covered in snow all winter. But I have a couple of weeping norway spruce that I don't even want to go look at, because if they lose needles they look pretty terrible(they are still fairly young, so any damage is very noticeable). And they get a lot of south exposure.

I know by this point most of the damage is probably already done and there isn't anything I can do about it except hope that it thaws soon so they can get water again. Hoping for the best!

Bookmark   April 7, 2013 at 11:03AM
More Discussions
Seeds
Can't wait for spring....
prairie_northrose (3a north of Calgary, AB, Canada)
Finally!
Even my daffodils, south side close to house, are popping...
prairie_northrose (3a north of Calgary, AB, Canada)
Blackberry 2014 update...
The other thread was getting too long. Please post...
Konrad___far_north
Heat Mats
How many of you use a heat mat for seed germination? Our...
nutsaboutflowers
Primocane raspberries? Zone 3 north of Edmonton
Does anyone around Edmonton grow a primocane raspberry?...
lindz6
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™