cutting turned dormant

luv_figsApril 4, 2010

about 1 month ago, my cutting started growing, and it now has 6 leaves. but in the last two weeks it stopped growing. why is that? did it go dormant?

or do i need to fertilize it? its in 50/50 potting mix/perlite

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

Yes, it's time to fertilize. I would suggest an 'all-purpose' fertilizer in the 3:1:2 ratio at half strength to get started. Examples of 3:1:2 ratios are 24-8-16, 12-4-8, and 9-3-6.

The reasons it might not be showing perceptible growth are varied, and it could be nutritional. There simply isn't enough nutrition in a nutritionally unsupplemented 50/50 mix of potting soil/perlite to sustain the growth of almost any plant, let alone one as vigorous as figs.

Some plants tend to 'leapfrog' in their growth, alternating between allocating energy to roots, then shoots, then back to roots again, but I have never noticed this in figs w/o some form of mechanical manipulation (pruning/repotting) on my part, which leaves me thinking it's probably nutritional ..... unless there is some key information missing (light levels, temps e.g.).

Al

Bookmark   April 4, 2010 at 10:14AM
thisisme(az9b)

I'm with Al on this too. Sometimes fertilizing a small fig or rooted cutting may make it produce less fruit. But when they are so small fruit production is not what I want. I want the tree to grow larger so it will produce a lot more fruit the following season.

Bookmark   April 4, 2010 at 12:43PM
luv_figs

ok, thanks guys. i'll start fertilizing then. other things have been constant: light levels, temps, watering habits.

Bookmark   April 4, 2010 at 10:56PM
Suzi AKA DesertDance Zone 9b

I wonder if those Miracle Grow citrus spikes would do the trick? the label says 10-15-15. I've got a few left over from fertilizing my 4 citrus trees. My only fig at the moment is doing fine on the vineyard drip system, and it is in a container. It is thriving, and it does get treated as though it's a Citrus! It gets a dose of coffee grounds every few days, and a handful of epsom salts.

Bookmark   April 6, 2010 at 10:46AM
More Discussions
Negronne 2014
Pictures are from one tree but two different fig fruit....
bluemoonlight
Creeping Fig permanent setback
I planted a creeping fig vine a dozen years ago and...
grubby_AZ
The Great Boulder Fig Planting Experiment
Let me first say I'm not a fan of rooting figs inside....
Suzi AKA DesertDance Zone 9b
Fruits on Cuttings
Should I snip off these figs off the cuttings? I'm...
tobybul2 - Zone 6 SW MI
fig question
Has anyone tried to grow fig olympian and did they...
boydanny
Sponsored Products
Revel Wall Sconce
Lightology
Jamie Young Silver Stacked Wood Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Monarch French Gold Sixteen-Light 27-Inch Chandelier with Royal Cut Clear Crysta
Bellacor
Tiffany-style Victorian Design Dark Antique Bronze 2-light Pendant
Overstock.com
Jaipur Maroc Zazzy Area Rug - RUG108305
$58.00 | Hayneedle
Tamburo Mosaic Onyx Pendant by Besa Lighting
$733.50 | Lumens
SINKOLOGY Kitchen Bernini Farmhouse Apron Front Handmade Pure Solid Copper 36
Home Depot
Dione Wall Sconce by ELK Lighting
$218.00 | Lumens
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™