Ficus carica....Bonsai Training

bronxfigsApril 8, 2012

Creating a "bonsai-style" edible fig tree has its charm, and probably many difficulties, the least of which, is reducing leaf size. I have never tried the edible fig as a bonsai subject, and I was wondering if any growers have trained a fig in this way?

I have a no-name fig growing in my front hard, with a very crooked trunk, and I think that I would like to try to train this tree into a respectable, large-scale "bonsai". I will leave it planted in-ground while using training techniques over the next years. Refinement will come later once the basic tree is formed.

I am not too worried about the top end of the tree because with pruning, new buds will pop out and I could regrow the branching system. It's the rootage that needs work.

I want to form a wide, flaring root base, called "nebari" which will give the illusion of a well anchored, buttressed root system. Standard bonsai techniques call for cutting the downward-growing tap-root, and selecting some horizontally-growing roots to thicken and age. These roots will grow near the surface of the soil, half-exposed, so the roots will form bark, and blend with the trunk-base. I read the root-trimming posts and looked at all the interesting photos posted by Al Tapla. Anything else I need to know.

Any tips on leaf reduction techniques other than pinching out overly large leaves? My guess is that under the best conditions, these figs will always have a very coarse, unrefined look because of the large, stiff, leaves. Will edible fruit form under bonsai training?

Any pointers/hints/caveats would help me.

Thanks,

Frank DV

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
budbackeast(FLORIDA)

You can do just about anything with a fig tree. In Japan, they prune them into odd shapes for easier harvesting. For extensive photos of this, check out this link: http://figs4funforum.websitetoolbox.com/post/Japanese-fig-growing-method-fabulous-photos-4374293 (Same as link shown below)

Here is a link that might be useful: Japanese Style Fig Farming

Bookmark   April 12, 2012 at 2:45AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bronxfigs

budbackeast.......

Thanks very much for the link. Very interesting to see all the training possibilities.

Frank

Bookmark   April 12, 2012 at 6:30AM
More Discussions
Cuttings with mold.
When I took my three bags of cuttings out of the fridge...
recoil_rob
New Member to the Family.
This is Newton. My first fig tree. Picked him up today....
chopstikkninja
Cincinnati, OH Hardy chicago fig Hardy chicago fig 2015
The picture below is carried over from last year. Hardy...
Steve, Z (6Bground,5B roof) Cincy,OH
fiddle leaf fig dilemma - one healthy, one w/ incredibly droopy leaves
About a month and a half ago I purchased a 3/4 foot...
eja27
Lob Injir (Myrna or Calimyrna cuttings)
I'l like have cuttings of Lob Injir (....), I've allowable...
sergnic
Sponsored Products
Elk Lighting 113-1127 Distressed Table Lamp - 113-1127
$238.00 | Hayneedle
Elk Lighting 4H Dish - 93-3046
$22.00 | Hayneedle
Elk Lighting Carved Block Table Lamp - 91-224
$130.00 | Hayneedle
Elk Lighting Nathan 14160/3 3 Light Pendant Multicolor - 14160/3
$238.00 | Hayneedle
Elk Lighting Danica 46013/6RC 6 Light Chandelier Multicolor - 46013/6RC
$828.00 | Hayneedle