Pinus strobus 'Stowe Pillar'

mrgpagSeptember 15, 2006

This has been kicked around in here before but I can't find what I'm looking for so--

Has anyone grown or seen this tree that has a size to it enough to figure out what it might look like in say 15 years? The only thing I can find showing/talking about any size is in Stanley's website and I'm sort of cautious as to what I accept as gospel there - although for the most part I like the plants I've received from Larry.

I've acquired one and am trying to figure out the best planting spot in my rather congested and small property. But then again considering the cost I incurred, the chainsaw approach down the road wouldn't be too hard to take other than the fact I really like white pines.

Thanks

Marshall

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
conifers

I think Bob Fincham has talked about this find because I believe Sherwood from the East Coast found it and too is a friend of his. From what I recall/read/whatever - Bob said this is a 'much superior clone' than Fastigiata - holds snow loads without concern and doesn't spread out like 'Fastigiata' does with age.

Maybe I read it on his website.

Dax

Bookmark   September 15, 2006 at 2:30PM
mrgpag

That's more or less what Stanley's website says as well. Do you have Bob's catalog?

Bookmark   September 15, 2006 at 2:53PM
jaro_in_montreal

I have the Jan. '06 Coenosium Gardens catalogue from Bob, but there's no Pinus strobus 'Stowe Pillar' in it....

Bookmark   September 15, 2006 at 6:11PM
mrgpag

Jaro - thanks

Bookmark   September 15, 2006 at 8:01PM
conifers

I was just thinking about that Marshall (that's where I read it).

Coenosium Gardens 'Catalogue of Rare Plants For The Discriminating Person' - January 2003:

Pinus strobus 'Stowe Pillar':
"An exceptionally narrow selection that if very resistant to damage from snow. It grows about 9" per year. My plants are over 10' tall and less than 4' wide. It is superior to 'Fastigiata' in every way (zone 3)."

Dax

Bookmark   September 16, 2006 at 9:23AM
mrgpag

so about 2½ times taller than wide - Thanks

Bookmark   September 16, 2006 at 12:52PM
conifers

'Prune to perfection' (and save the scionwood)

Dax

P.s. I killed one of these already and have two more - one in the ground the other I'm saving for later (looked at a 3.7 acre plot yesterday actually). My new plants have multiple leaders, so I'd imagine if kept to one, it might be even more narrow and more similar to the photo on Larry Stanley's website (They look very narrow - love that photo:).

P.p.s. My Juniper 'Gold Cone' plants are becoming wider than I expected as well. I thought these would be extremely narrow, but then again, maybe they will with even more time. See ya maybe soon Marshall. -- D.

Bookmark   September 16, 2006 at 1:12PM
More Discussions
Please identify this pine tree
Could someone please identify these pine trees? This...
PicoAzores
Dawn Redwoods side by side
When I purchased a two foot 'Ogon' Dawn Redwood I decided...
mikebotann
Pine grafting question
Hi,last year I noticed a particularly lovely dwarf...
gary77788
Pinus Nigra hardiness
We had a brutal temp swing in November after a very...
treebarb Z5 Denver
Evergreen shrub suggestions needed
Hello. I will be replacing 3 boxwoods this spring....
zaphod42 SE WI
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™