Campfire rose?

TanlineTraceyMay 28, 2014

So I bought two campfire roses this year, not exactly sure on where I'm going to plant them yet. Wondering what luck others have had with these? One has a couple blooms now and is stunning!!! Hopeing it's going to repeat bloom for me. Emily Carr has never repeated in the past 4 years I've had her.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden

I planted Campfire last summer. She made it through the winter, I think. Teeny weeny little rose but so far tough. Beautiful blooms last year. :)

Ginny

Bookmark   May 28, 2014 at 4:45AM
wayne

I also planted one that was in a 2 gallon pot and it bloomed like crazy. The original plant shape was quite fine textured but after a month of rainy weather it pushed out much larger vigorous growth, neighbours horse gave it, double knockout and morden sunrise a prune job over winter so I can't say how much die back there would have been. So far only Morden Sunrise hasn't started to grow.

Bookmark   May 28, 2014 at 9:49AM
wayne

I was also going to mention that the blooms lasted a long time and they fade to red, some to white, I think it is a great rose. Time will tell how it makes out in the years to come. Morden Sunrise is in top right and Double Knockout bottom right.

Bookmark   May 28, 2014 at 10:04AM
twrosz

wayne61 ... okay, your photo and comments are to blame for me looking to add yet another rose to my yard :)

Terrance

Bookmark   May 28, 2014 at 12:18PM
SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC(Zone 4b-5 SE BC Canada)

Nice photo!! I planted a one gallon specimen this year and anxiously await for it to look like that!!

SCG

Bookmark   May 28, 2014 at 2:36PM
Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden

Wayne, she is beautiful! My little girl bloomed as well but not quite so many blooms!

Terry, yes, you must add her to your beautiful garden. Her colors are amazing! :) You won't be disappointed!

Ginny

Bookmark   May 28, 2014 at 3:40PM
ostrich(3a AB)

Oh my goodness, wayne61, what a lovely and cheerful little rose bush this is!!! Thanks for the great photo!

Now, I know what I need to get this weekend!!! :-) First it's Hansa now I need to add Campfire to the list too! :-)

BTW, wayne61, you have a Double Knock Out and you are in zone 2/3!? It survived the winter!? When I used to live in zone 5 (that was decidedly tropical comparing to my zone 3 here now! LOL) I had some HUGE Double Knock Out bushes. It was absolutely amazing. Then after moving here, I saw the nurseries and big box stores starting to sell KO roses and I was wondering why.... so I would love to hear more about your experience of this rose in the zone 2/3 climate! Thanks in advance.

Bookmark   May 28, 2014 at 8:59PM
wayne

Most of the roses that I have planted were put in last year, my mother and oldest sister being the contributors of some. Those three roses are about 50ft. on the north side of the building in a windy spot but were covered by a couple feet of snow. The temperature dropped into the low -20's in late November a couple of nights at least with little snow cover then. I had mixed in a lot of spruce needles, cones and other material when they were planted but had not actually mulched them. Besides the horse pruning them the voles totally chewed most of the bark off the crowns of it and the Morden Sunrise. This spring after hearing mom remind me that I should bury the crowns, I covered them all with more soil and mulched them. D.K. is pushing up new growth after all that. It bloomed constantly last year and had grown new stems also and only a bit of powdery mildew. I need to start using mouse poison.

Bookmark   May 28, 2014 at 11:06PM
twrosz

wayne61, that photo of yours is responsible for me now having purchased 'Campfire' ... I think I'll plant it right out front :)

Bookmark   June 15, 2014 at 11:46AM

Hehe, twrosz. My first bloom on campfire came yesterday and I promptly cut it and brought it in. It is quite beautiful at a distance it looks like a few others have opened!!

I definitely planted it way too far from my walkway.....might have to get another... LOL

SCG

Bookmark   June 15, 2014 at 12:15PM
wayne

My plant is slowly coming along, same with the D.K. in the same spot, no buds yet. I planted 3 john cabot on the south side of the building by a down spout and fertilized them well, they are 2.5ft. tall and setting buds mostly all new growth. They will have to get a lot more ridged if they are going to go up the ladder that I made.

Bookmark   June 15, 2014 at 12:32PM
TanlineTracey

The other day I was admiring campfire and took some pics.

Bookmark   June 15, 2014 at 1:00PM
wayne

That just makes a person smile!!!

Bookmark   June 15, 2014 at 2:04PM
CossecaRose_z3(Zone 3)

Ooooooh! Lovely rose pic!! :) :)

Bookmark   June 16, 2014 at 1:40PM
ostrich(3a AB)

Tanline Tracey, that is absolutely stunning! I may just have to find myself some excuse to find some space for yet another rose (even though 2 "hardy" ones died on me this past winter).... LOL

Bookmark   June 16, 2014 at 7:39PM
rouge21_gw(5)

I know I am late coming to the discussion but in now the deep of winter what I see and read here in this thread has got me really excited about this rose.

I am just wondering if any of you can update us re its performance all summer and into the Autumn? Lots of blooms throughout?

How large did it get for you?

I am in a much more temperate zone than all of you and so "Japanese Beetles" may not be an issue in your gardens; but just in case did you see any on this rose?

Bookmark   January 20, 2015 at 7:53AM

I planted 'Campfire' in early spring as a one gal specimen that wan't very large. It bloomed very well until summer when it got totally defoliated by 4 legged slugs. It took most of the summer for it to regain its foliage and it started to bloom again in the fall. Unfortunately it had a lot of buds on it that never opened due to an early hard frost. Despite the harsh setbacks I think it about tripled in size. I am really looking forward to seeing it this year.

I don't know of anyone that posts here that has JB's, yet......

Good luck and let us know how it does if you decide to get it.

SCG

Bookmark   January 20, 2015 at 9:40AM
twrosz

'Campfire'

Bookmark   January 21, 2015 at 2:37PM

Twrosz, as always, you have great roses!!

Bookmark   January 21, 2015 at 8:07PM
twrosz

SCG, it takes a "great" rose to stand up to the disease pressure in my yard and few actually do so, 'Campfire' is claimed to have strong resistance, though time will tell as for such here in my yard. 'Emily Carr' has proven itself and one I've really come to like.

Bookmark   January 23, 2015 at 2:19AM
wayne

Campfire for me so far wants to spread more than grow upright but is still getting established. Bloomed consistently in flushes but as it gets larger I can see that it will be in bloom all summer. We had a lot of rain this past year and I had blackspot on quite a few roses but Campfire was good. Double Knockout is in the back.

Bookmark   January 24, 2015 at 9:32AM
wayne

Forgot to mention that pic was taken on july 26, there was lots of growth on both roses after that, D.K. is a blooming machine.

Bookmark   January 24, 2015 at 9:35AM

Nice photo wayne61, I am staring out the window at the mound of snow that campfire is under anxiously awaiting spring. Crazy weather again as the high is supposed to be 17C on Monday.

Twrosz, OT but how is that nice yellow rose you bred for disease resistance? I am a little bit reluctant to offer to trial it in my garden but for you will do so......

Bookmark   January 24, 2015 at 12:27PM
More Discussions
Far North on Facebook
Do any of you remember Sharon, "Crazy_Gardener",...
marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
Disappearing seedlings, help requested
I have never had problems with damping off only losing...
SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
Blackberry 2014 update...
The other thread was getting too long. Please post...
Konrad___far_north
Finally!
Even my daffodils, south side close to house, are popping...
prairie_northrose (3a north of Calgary, AB, Canada)
Grapes that survived (zone 2b)
all my grapes pulled through, except for a straggly...
intotheark
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™