transplanting tall bearded iris

xtreme_gardener(1b)May 21, 2010

Just wondering in my zone whether I should move them before or after they bloom?

They don't need to be divided yet, I'd just like to move them to a better spot. I lost one clump near by to rot last year and I don't want to lose these, too. They're in a bit of a depression and I don't think they are draining as well as they should as well as being planted too deep.

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
marricgardens

I always wait until after they bloom, in late July/August. If you do it now you will lose the bloom for this year. Planting in J/A will still give it enough time to set good roots before winter. Marg

Bookmark   May 21, 2010 at 8:22AM
sierra_z2b

If your bearded iris are in danger of sitting in water or of soft rot in the location they are in..move them now. It is better to lose this years flowers and save the plant.

I planted many last spring...and I think having the extra time to settle in has really made a huge difference.

Others I planted in early July.....lost quite a few of them..either hard rhizomes and not growing or soft mush. YUK!!!

I was also given some heritage iris last Sept...not a one made it through...being planted so late.

Sierra

Bookmark   May 21, 2010 at 7:14PM
xtreme_gardener(1b)

uhoh...I hate it when that happens! two different suggestions! lol
I could do without blooms for a year if they come back next year. they aren't actually sitting in water but I think if we had a cool wet summer they'd rot.
Thanks...I better wait for a best out of three before I dig ;')

Bookmark   May 22, 2010 at 1:25AM
More Discussions
Finally!
Even my daffodils, south side close to house, are popping...
prairie_northrose (3a north of Calgary, AB, Canada)
You can do without.....???
Okay I am about to hit the button on the checkout at...
SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
Primocane raspberries? Zone 3 north of Edmonton
Does anyone around Edmonton grow a primocane raspberry?...
lindz6
Disappearing seedlings, help requested
I have never had problems with damping off only losing...
SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
germinating rose seeds
What is a good way to start roses from seed, I picked...
wayne
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™