rose tree of china will not bloom!

berrygood1(z3 AK)May 7, 2007

I can't seem to find any information on this shrub. Does it go by another name? I have 3 planted in different spots in the yard for the past 3 years and none will bloom. Any advice?

Thanks,

Rise'

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hoghaven_duluthmn

This may be "flowering almond". I had a flowering almond when I lived in Zone 3. It would only bloom below the snowline, or after very mild winters. The blossoms were fantastic where it did bloom. However, it would blossom and then there would be a day or 2 of wind, and all blossoms would be "gone with the wind". Since I have moved into a zone 4 area, I did plant a shrub called "flowering plum" last year. It is supposed to be tougher--hopefully I will see some bloom this spring. It is just leafing out now, so perhaps next year. Shrubs usually need at least a year or 2 to settle in before bloom. Moving them around will set them back.

Andie

Bookmark   May 7, 2007 at 9:12AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mytime(3/4 Alaska)

Mine looks like it is going to bloom well, but I'm surprised since it was sooo cold with basically no snow cover for so long.
I resisted getting one for a long time because of the fact that they seemed to only bloom below the snow line, but a couple of mild winters broke my resistance. Now we'll probably be back to harsh winters...lol

Bookmark   May 8, 2007 at 11:57AM
More Discussions
Blackberry 2014 update...
The other thread was getting too long. Please post...
Konrad___far_north
germinating rose seeds
What is a good way to start roses from seed, I picked...
wayne
You can do without.....???
Okay I am about to hit the button on the checkout at...
SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
Far North on Facebook
Do any of you remember Sharon, "Crazy_Gardener",...
marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
Cilantro tricks?
Does anyone have any advice to get more leaves out...
northspruce
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™