connecticut growers

ct_tom(6)April 12, 2010

is there anyone here growing figs in ct. I am wondering if the potted figs produce well? I have seen and talked to others about covering/burying the trees but at times it is hit or miss. what have others done?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
geoff_ri(6)

I have an in-ground fig tree in RI...which tends to be a little colder than CT. It's doing fine, but it does take work to care for it over the winter. I used to keep it potted, but it always suffered from being under-watered when I leave for a week during the summer.

There's a good deal of info in the archives on how to over-winter potted and in-ground figs.

Bookmark   April 12, 2010 at 1:45PM
ct_tom(6)

Thanks Geoffs.

Anyone,
For smaller plants would it be worth while to plant in garden then dig up when bringing in for the winter?

Bookmark   April 12, 2010 at 2:24PM
peg919(Z6 CT)

Hi,
I'm in CT. All my figs are in pots. For several reasons I do not plant them in ground, one being that I'm unable to winterize those in ground. After they go dormant the pots go into my garage where they stay until they start budding and the weather is warm enough. They are now outside on the ground, most leafing, (hoping we don't get a frost). During the summer most of them will send roots right into the ground. So far I've been able to find a strong man to dig them out and put them into the garage in the fall and take them out again in Spring. I don't think there is any advantage in planting the smaller figs and then digging them up. Just my opinion.

Good luck,
Peg

Bookmark   April 12, 2010 at 8:24PM
More Discussions
How to prune a Ficus Lyrata.
Hi Everyone, Im new to this forum, I hope there is...
Goldie_1
Any good places to buy fig cuttings?
Hi guys, I was wondering if any of you could recommend...
bonechickchris
Italian Honey
She was all fine on till August 2014 and then look...
bluemoonlight
Cuttings with mold.
When I took my three bags of cuttings out of the fridge...
recoil_rob
I just bought a fig tree!!
Hi all, I recently bought a fig tree, a "Lattarula"...
mssfiggy
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™