What Are Your Three Best Tips For Growing Russian Sage?

just_me_6(WV 6 - West Virginia-Tri State)June 28, 2007

I love Russian sage. I've tried growing it twice but I've failed twice. Can it be grown in a containter? Maybe that would be easier for me. . . .hmmmmm. . .

Anywho, what are your three best tips to help me be successful in growing Russian Sage?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
msmisk(NTX8)

I planted a new Russian Sage last fall and lost it this spring. I'm attributing it to poor drainage/too much water.
I bought a new one a few weeks ago and planted it in a raised bed. I can't stop it from raining, but I hope it holds out until the monsoon stops, then I'll never water it, unless I actually see it start to wilt !

Carol

Bookmark   June 28, 2007 at 9:31PM
PattiOH(z5MA)

Give Russian sage:

FULL sun

Poor or average soil (Do not fertilize this plant)

Excellent drainage

If you cut this back in the winter, leave at least 10 inches standing.

Try again!

Guess that's way more than three.
PattiOh

Bookmark   June 28, 2007 at 9:49PM
lindakimy

Oh. I gotta get some of THAT!! Full sun...CHECK! Poor soil...CHECK! Excellent drainage...double CHECK!! That sounds like the plant for me! Can it handle humidity??

Bookmark   June 28, 2007 at 10:04PM
joanne_nj6b

I planted Russian sage on the edge of my patio where it gets morning and afternoon sun, plus the heat from the patio stones. My lavender thrives in this setting as well. The soil is pretty average to poor because it has a fair amount of patio base material mixed in and I didn't amend it when I planted. Overall, I pretty much ignore it and it is doing extremely well. In fact, my only gripe is that it is a little too big, but I have heard that they don't like to be moved once established.

I live at the Jersey Shore about a mile from the ocean, so there is plenty of humidity. And I new here :).

Joanne

Bookmark   June 29, 2007 at 8:24AM
mmqchdygg(Z5NH)

I don't fertilize, but have mine in a full-blown patch of 'lasagna-style' compost. It does fine. All other points are considered and have appropriate 'check marks' in the boxes ;)

Bookmark   June 29, 2007 at 3:02PM
remy_gw

I have mine planted on the south side of my home about 1 1/2 feet from the foundation. It is growing with cactus, sedum, yucca, penstemon, etc. It is very happy there.
Remy

Bookmark   June 29, 2007 at 10:06PM
More Discussions
Weekend Trivia - Saturday
Well, good Saturday morning, Cottagers. It is a brilliantly...
midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
Garden critters
Here are some of the local fauna who stopped by the...
loisthegardener_nc7b
Forum changed ALOT
OMGosh, this whole forum completely changed! WHen did...
todancewithwolves
Here's what my Garden looks like!!
The icicles are getting crazy big, but they look pretty...
midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
Blackberry lily (Belamcanda chinensis)
This is my attempt to post. This is a plant I haven't...
frogview00
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™