raised veggie planters

crazyoneMay 14, 2012

has anyone over wintered perennials and plants like strawberries, rhubarb etc in raised planters in zone 3? with success? if so were they in the center or can they be close to edge?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nutsaboutflowers(2b/3a)

I have a brick planter that's 4 bricks high that has been fine for tulips, daylilies, various spring bulbs. There's also dianthus, primula, and salvia that seem to be coming along just fine.

My strawberry patch is in a 10 inch high cedar raised bed and they've come through the winter just fine also.

Bookmark   May 14, 2012 at 12:33PM
savona(z2bBCCanada)

I have my strawberries in raised vege planters. The planters are about 18 inches high and the strawberries survive just fine. I am zone 2b....Jean

Bookmark   May 15, 2012 at 2:18AM
bdgardener(3 AB)

I also have raised beds, strawberries come thru fine, if they have snow cover or straw, we get alot of drying winter wind. I also have tulips and a cutting garden in raised beds. C

Bookmark   May 15, 2012 at 8:20AM
jel48(Z4 Michigan)

I'm not in Z3 but I do know that the amount of snow cover can make a big difference in where you can grow some plants. For example, with adequate snow cover to provide extra insulation against repeated freeze/thaw cycles which cause heaving you can grow a lot of plants in a raised bed (or even overwinter in pots) that you couldn't otherwise. So part of this will depend on what your normal winter snow cover is.

Bookmark   May 24, 2012 at 8:50AM
More Discussions
Primocane raspberries? Zone 3 north of Edmonton
Does anyone around Edmonton grow a primocane raspberry?...
lindz6
Bacopa Propagation from Cuttings
I have been searching the net trying to find out how...
SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
Cilantro tricks?
Does anyone have any advice to get more leaves out...
northspruce
plant swapping in Manitoba
Hi all~ Blustery winter day throughout Manitoba......
bratwithcat
Heat Mats
How many of you use a heat mat for seed germination? Our...
nutsaboutflowers
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™