wintertime for fig

bryantheitalianboyApril 25, 2010

If I don't protect my fig tree. Will it die or survive the winter season? How old will it survive without protect at least around 10 degree? My fig is black mission.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ejp3(7NY)

My opinion is that in you're zone BM is going to be very tough to grow in the ground unless you have it in a great spot (micro climate). BM grows like mad in a pot if that is possible.

Bookmark   April 25, 2010 at 11:24PM
bonsaist(Z6/ Bethlehem, Pa)

What part of Pennsylvania do you live in?
I agree with Ed Black Mission is not the best variety to grow in ground in our climate.

Bass

Bookmark   April 26, 2010 at 12:51PM
danab_z9_la

In ground Black Mission trees can be tender even in my zone 9 climate. The fig trees in my yard are susceptible to early spring frosts and light freezes. Often early warm fronts cause fig trees to break dormancy way too soon. The cold/warm cycling fronts that move through our area in some years, can damage and kill a tender tree quiet easily. Several years ago a friend of mine lost his large BM fig tree to these hot/cold cycling temperatures.

Based on the fig tree growing observations made by Herman2, I have allowed my BM tree to grow in bush form.....for better winter survival and insurance. Also, to make it easier to pick the figs in the future as the tree gets larger. This year I had very little damage to my Black Mission as compared to earlier years when I insisted that it grow in TREE FORM. There was very little damage in spite of it being a much colder winter than usual in my area.

Dan

Bookmark   April 26, 2010 at 2:45PM
More Discussions
New ficus lyrata & ficus elastica...cold shock?
I brought home 3 new houseplants from the hardware...
mandalynrael
Need to know what kind of fig tree this is!
I am hoping someone may know the variety of this fig...
Shelly Holmes
I think I poisoned all my new baby figs :/
I had decided to lightly fertilize all my new batch...
Aaron
New Member to the Family.
This is Newton. My first fig tree. Picked him up today....
chopstikkninja
Cuttings with mold.
When I took my three bags of cuttings out of the fridge...
recoil_rob
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™