Cutting back Montauk Daisies...

carrie630(z7bNC)June 17, 2009

Since recently there were discussions about pinching sedums and making new plants out of the cuttings, I wanted to mention that I do the same with Montauk Daisies, (which I trim down twice a year - once in December and again in June)....

They are also very easy - stick the stems in dirt and they will root themselves...

Hey, anything to save $$, right?

:0)

Carrie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dyhgarden(7b)

Another great tip! I don't grow Montauk daisies, but they sure are pretty. Probably on the deer or rabbit menu?

Cameron

Bookmark   June 17, 2009 at 9:06PM
carrie630(z7bNC)

... Afraid to say it... so far no rabbit or deer damage on them, but maybe they never made it to that section of the border..so far, as I said... ;0/

They are always such a surprise when they bloom pretty white daisies in the fall.. Somehow I always forget about them after the last "cut back".. and then around October they are filled with daisies.

I think you would like them, Cameron - (I think they smell like Fritos...)

Carrie

Bookmark   June 17, 2009 at 9:12PM
diana_noil(5)

I was just thinking about cutting my Montauk daisies back, perfect time to read your post. How far do you trim them down? I will take your suggestion and try to root them too.

My 3 year old daughter is the daisy girl, she can't get enough of them. I bought Montauk to continue her daisy obsession as late into the summer as possible and they were SO pretty last fall when the only other thing I had with new blooms was my anemone.

Bookmark   June 18, 2009 at 2:25PM
carrie630(z7bNC)

I would cut them back now... just like mums, by July 4th - but most of the time I do my Montauks just a week or so earlier...

Rooting is easy - I don't fuss, but NOT as reliable as sedums, but still "do-able"... I say "what have you got to lose?" :0)

Carrie

Bookmark   June 18, 2009 at 5:38PM
capeski

I cut back my montauk daisies on or about June 1st and have seen no new growth. When should I expect to see it?

Bookmark   June 24, 2010 at 1:31PM
sweetannie4u(midOK_z6b/7a)

I've heard the name before, but never seen them that I am aware of, so I looked them up on the web just now. The LINK below tells about them not being palatable to rabbits and deer. Lots of info on this site, including rooting them, as you mentioned. Cool beans!

I want some of these daisies. I am a long-time Daisy lover.
Thanks for the post!
~Annie

Here is a link that might be useful: Montauk Daisy

Bookmark   June 24, 2010 at 2:15PM
More Discussions
Boxwood not looking good
It's blowing snow and cold here today and the boxwood...
schoolhouse_gw
Aftermidnight (and others please) question
Hi Annette, I am finding this Houzz hard to navigate...
duncandotty
Garden critters
Here are some of the local fauna who stopped by the...
loisthegardener_nc7b
My first real gardening venture this year
The sun is out, it's 80 degrees in my unheated greenhouse...
aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
Building my Irish Shed
Hi everyone, I've been admiring all the lovely garden...
camaria
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™