Planting raised bed under dogwood?

cardwellaveJune 7, 2011

I have a dogwood tree in my front yard, perhaps around 10 years old. It is probably about 12 or 13 feet high. This year it did not flower, not sure if this is important to the posting question...but it produced the centers of some flowers but maybe got 2 petals on each one. Last year it bloomed beautifully. Did not fertilize the grass around it (or any grass) in the last year. I was thinking of doing some sort of decent sized raised bed around the tree. Really I am just looking for new areas to plant! Are there certain plants that would be really good or really not good to put under it? Would having a raised bed at all affect the tree negatively? Thanks in advance.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
girlgroupgirl(8 ATL)

I've been getting some permits for doing work in my yard, and I've been discussing planting around trees with arborists. Raised beds in their minds are "no no's" because the extra soil covers up the roots that seek moisture, and digging and planting around them can break roots which can become hosts to disease and pests.
My dogwood was already placed within a garden area when we moved in, so I never had to really disturb the roots to garden around it. I'm thinking it might be better to leave well enough alone.

Bookmark   June 7, 2011 at 10:32PM
mosswitch

Putting raise beds over the feeder roots of a tree also smothers the roots, by depriving them of oxygen. A tree might not die right away, but it will shorten its life considerably. Someone put fill over huge old oaks in the lot next to me, they all died but some of them took 5 years or more. Shame too, some of them were 200 yrs old or more.

Bookmark   June 7, 2011 at 11:30PM
cardwellave

Thanks for the tips, ladies...sounds like it's not a great idea! I have some marigolds under there now basically just planted in a little top soil I put over what was there. No harm there I wouldn't think. Now where can I put another garden?? Lol!

Bookmark   June 8, 2011 at 12:15AM
More Discussions
Building my Irish Shed
Hi everyone, I've been admiring all the lovely garden...
camaria
Here's what my Garden looks like!!
The icicles are getting crazy big, but they look pretty...
midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
My first real gardening venture this year
The sun is out, it's 80 degrees in my unheated greenhouse...
aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
Jane's work in progress
Jane emailed me a picture of the project she's still...
aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
Just a little test post -
I'm trying to see how the new posting works. First,...
ThinMan Z5 MI
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™