Half Barrel Planters

SeaOtterCove(2b BC)May 21, 2008

Hi Everyone,

I'm doing a landscaping project for a friend of mine. I'm helping him figure out what to plant in a flowerbed and he also asked me to help him figure out what to plant in these two half barrels on either side of his driveway. For some reason he would like perennials in both of them. Do you have to chose plants that are one zone or two zones colder than you are for containers? Since we are zone 2b that means that I should be selecting plants that are zone 1 or even zone 0. Which plants fit into that category? I was thinking of planting an evergreen in each of them plus something else that would hang over the side. That is what I've come up with so far. What type of evergreen I don't know, same with the plant that would hang over the side.

So, any suggestions as to what plants I should plant in them? Or should I just tell him he is stuck with annuals?

Thanks,

Syreeta

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
explorer_mb(z1b MB Canada)

Hi Syreeta,

One perennial I have in a half barrel that has survived my zone 1B on the deck for three years now has been clematis macropetala 'Blue Bird'. It's right in the middle of the barrel and climbs a metal lattice trellis.

Last summer I also tried using hemerocallis 'Stella D'Oro' with mixed results as half of them made it and half of them didn't. The half which made it were right in the middle of the barrel and had alot of snow cover, while the other half were against a shed and filled the barrel but had early spring snowmelt coming off the shed and into the barrel which probably did them in... probably not the best for barrels.

Hope that helped alittle,
Rob

Bookmark   May 21, 2008 at 11:23PM
stanly(Z03)

Syreeta, try to convince them to use annuals. I have 4 half barrels and I've tried just about everything and nothing has lasted more than two years as far as perennials. Last year I decided to put in a Petunia Tidal Wave Silver in each container and you should have seen the display, wow!

Bookmark   May 23, 2008 at 5:26PM
offgridinnorthernON(NW Ontario)

If you can move the barrels inside a shed or garage and cover them in straw they might survive.

I have not had any luck with perennials in my barrels and have reverted to annuals.

Bookmark   May 24, 2008 at 10:02AM
More Discussions
Mahogany Splendor Hibiscus
I was wanting to grow this hibiscus. Everything I've...
marricgardens
Has many one tried calgaryplants.com for roses?
I came across this site, http://www.calgaryplants.com/collections/roses,...
prairie_northrose (3a north of Calgary, AB, Canada)
crabapple trees
The woodpeckers have done a real number on one of my...
marricgardens
Trying new tree varieties and update on rare trees
Hey everyone, What are some of the trees you've all...
www.eclipselandscaping.ca
Toka plum almost ready to flower in calgary
Like the title says today I was doing my pruning for...
mattpf
Sponsored Products
Moooi | Delft Blue No. 4
YLiving.com
Myra Adjustable Spotlight by Access Lighting
$76.00 | Lumens
Campania International Best Buddies Garden Statue - S-471 - NATURAL
$589.99 | Hayneedle
European Reclaimed Glass Balon Bowl
$119.00 | FRONTGATE
Spring to Life Planter
$39.99 | Dot & Bo