What about Hetz Midget Cedar?

nutsaboutflowers(2b/3a)May 29, 2010

While I'm asking about the Mugo pine vs Little Giant cedar, shall we add Hetz Midget cedar to the mix?

It was suggested I plant these at the front of the house also, ( on the opposite side of the front entrance from the Mugo pine vs. Little Giant cedar area) with some of the daylilies I bought, plus the mock orange I bought.

Aren't the Hetz Midget almost exactly like the Little Giant??

Any comments or experience with these?

( I hope the expert isn't reading these posts. If so, I don't mean to undermine your expertise, I just want more info and opinions from my main source of information - awesome people on this forum )

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
glen3a(Winnipeg MB 3A)

I'm definitely not an expert but, I think they are very similar. Not to get too technical, but the botanical name is thuja occidentalis and among it are many cultivars of varying shape and forms.

Monrovia.com said Hetz midget is "Small evergreen shrub has dense, globe shaped growth habit. Rich green needles are arranged in flat layered sprays. grows 3 to 4 feet high and wide"

The same site mentioned about Little Giant: "Small, globe-shaped evergreen shrub. A very versatile and useful plant." and also said up to 4 feet high.

I believe I have hetz Midget at the side of the house and it's grows slow but steady, more like 2 feet high after 10 years.

Another sort of neat one is 'rheingold' which has golden foliage. It gets a bit bigger, according to one site anyway, up to 5 feet (though could be maintained at a certain height with annual trimming).

Where it mentions heights I would take that with a grain of salt - or research multiple sites to get a better idea (average) of the height/width.

Glen

Bookmark   June 3, 2010 at 12:53AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nutsaboutflowers(2b/3a)

Thanks Glen.

I guess if you've had them for 10 years, there can't be much of a problem with them or you would have gotten rid of them.

I'll have to look for larger ones though. I don't want to wait 10 years =:)

Bookmark   June 3, 2010 at 10:17AM
More Discussions
Snows not here but lets talk roses anyways 2014
Well, this was an explosive year in the rose dept for...
SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
Far North on Facebook
Do any of you remember Sharon, "Crazy_Gardener",...
marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
Bacopa Propagation from Cuttings
I have been searching the net trying to find out how...
SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
climbing roses
Hi, I'm considering pillaring some climbing roses....
rosecanadian
germinating rose seeds
What is a good way to start roses from seed, I picked...
wayne
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™