Pill bug invasion

mrhappy(z8 - Austin, TX)April 8, 2010

The little buggers are everywhere. I think I have found at least a partial answer to some of my figs slow growth. While repotting a few plants this afternoon I noticed wads of the little figavores. They had wallowed out hollows where 15-20 would stay - eating the tender roots. Needless to say I could have a sale on freshly butchered free-range pill bugs about now. I must have scaped a couple of 100 out of the plants I repotted.

Any advice on how to kill them without killing the figs? I'd gladly use anything between a handgun and a nuke but I'd really like to keep my trees.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ottawan_z5a

"between a handgun and a nuke"?
This one will make you happy too if you remember "If I had a hammer".
Use a tweezer and take one pill bug at a time from the fig roots, place it on an anvil and hit it hard with a hammer.

Bookmark   April 8, 2010 at 10:37PM
bjs496

What growing medium are you using?

Bookmark   April 8, 2010 at 11:27PM
danab_z9_la

Right now my area, it is those June Bugs that are eating the leaves of some of my fig trees during the night. Those bugs can literally strip all of the leaves off of a fig tree just like a locust plague.

Dan

Bookmark   April 9, 2010 at 12:49AM
jmsimpson9(CA 8/9)

Get the granulated bug insecticide that is safe for gardens. Make sure it kills pill bugs (I think its Bug-Getta or something like that). I think Corys has one. I use it in the vegetable garden. The pill bugs are murder on my new veggies, melons and strawberries.

Bookmark   April 9, 2010 at 12:14PM
token28001(zone7b NC)

Diatomaceous Earth. It cuts them up bad and causes them to dry out. It's nice revenge and is plant/people/pet safe.

Bookmark   April 9, 2010 at 7:34PM
ottawan_z5a

Dan
I spray a squirt of "Bug-Be-Gone" on individual June Bugs on a leave and in a minute or so they fall off like stone. I save 50% on spray because I always see them two by two piggybacking.

Bookmark   April 9, 2010 at 8:20PM
danab_z9_la

ottawan,

I only see those June bugs at night as they go back into the grass/soil during the day. After eating their fill on fig leaves....they assume the piggyback and have sex. Right now it is like one big bug orgy/party going on in my backyard!! The blackbirds in my area have caught on to this natural cycle and gather under my fig trees in the early morning to eat the bugs as they try to bury themselves. Right now is the only time I LOVE to see birds anywhere near my fig trees.

Dan

Bookmark   April 13, 2010 at 1:17PM
More Discussions
Negronne 2014
Pictures are from one tree but two different fig fruit....
bluemoonlight
Cincinnati, OH Hardy chicago fig Hardy chicago fig 2015
The picture below is carried over from last year. Hardy...
Steve, Micro (6B ground, 5B roof)
Italian Honey
She was all fine on till August 2014 and then look...
bluemoonlight
Black Madeira
In my old oven :) M
bluemoonlight
the f4f forum
I hope the folks leaving f4f will come here as I will...
mgginva
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™