Prairie Fire crabapple

marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern OntarioMay 7, 2010

Does anyone grow this? Would you recommend it for a zone 3 (yeah i know, technically zone 2b) garden? It's another of the Canadian Tire trees and it says USDA 4 - not sure, but is their 4 the same as our 3, or am i getting something mixed up?

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
beegood_gw

I checked Zone USA 3 / 4 . Zone 4 only to -35. And every Prairie fire is only zone 4. May have some die back but is worth it if it is cheap enuff and they give you a years guarantee.\also looks like a beautiful tree, The only thing I wouldn't be too crazy about is that the fruit does not drop.

Bookmark   May 7, 2010 at 7:20PM
marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario

Well, this is Canadian Tire, so no guarantee. Remember, we're "a mix of zone 3 and zone 5 around here"! LOL The tree was $50, so maybe i'll pass on it and see if i can find one that's actually hardy here. I liked the deep pink flowers and the purplish leaves, though.

Bookmark   May 7, 2010 at 9:04PM
beegood_gw

Check out Gladiator Crab. It is hardy to zone 2 and seems to be a lot like prairie fire. Available in Manitoba for sure

Bookmark   May 8, 2010 at 9:00AM

Next week, i'm going to look at some different garden centres, and will see what they have. There might even be a Gladiator at Canadian Tire - there were a few different ones there.

Bookmark   May 8, 2010 at 2:43PM
dannie(3b NWO Canada)

Marcia, I am pretty sure that is the crab that we planted two years ago and this year, there is no sign of the leaf buds swelling yet. I hope we haven't lost it but it isn't looking good. If it is dead, I am replacing it with either Dolgo or Makamik. They are both zone 2. I wanted one that is disease free (my crab in the front of the house gets scab) and one that was hardy. I narrowed it down to these two:

Dolgo Crabapple: (Malus 'Dolgo') A dwarf growing to about 15-20'. Spread about 15', blooms early with a white 2" flower. Very ornamental, brilliant crimson fruit makes wonderful jelly of fine flavor and color.

Malus 'Makamik'
Large, semi-double rosey-red flowers expand from dark red buds. Lots of purple-red fruit is produced in fall and persists into winter. A very hardy tree with a dense, rounded crown and bronze leaves. Very resistant to scab.

HTH

Danni

Bookmark   May 8, 2010 at 8:11PM

Hi Dannie! Just went and looked at the info on the crabapple i have and it just says "Pink". Hmmmm. LOL It was a gift a couple of years ago, and probably from Canadian Tire or Extra Foods. So far so good with it - no disease. Makamik sounds like another that i'd like, as i want the darker leaves and pink flowers. The fruit itself is just for the birds. :)

Thanks!

Bookmark   May 8, 2010 at 8:41PM

Another crabapple whose name has caught my eye is Thunderchild. A friend in Thompson, MB, had it, so i figure it must be hardy. Anyway, my first stop in the crabapple hunt this afternoon was Walmart, and lo and behold, there was one Thunderchild there! I paid for it and will bring it home tomorrow - had to come home and get the extra seat out of the van so it would fit. It's in full bloom, and i never thought about checking the leaf colour. Oh well, i might have to get another different one if the leaves aren't dark! LOL

Bookmark   May 12, 2010 at 11:27PM
beegood_gw

Good choice. Thunderchild is gorgeous.I think the leaves are purple.

Bookmark   May 13, 2010 at 7:24AM
nutsaboutflowers(2b/3a)

Marcia - I have two Schubart chokecherry trees. They get purple leaves, white blossoms, and the birds love the berries. If you were within a hundred miles of our place, you could have them for free, LOL.

I prefer my trees to be green =:)

Bookmark   May 14, 2010 at 6:34PM

I want the darker coloured leaves because it will be set against some evergreens and it will stand out nicely that way. :)

Thanks for the offer, nutsaboutflowers! LOL

Bookmark   May 14, 2010 at 11:50PM
nutsaboutflowers(2b/3a)

Marcia, you're right about the contrast with the evergreens. I planted 3 junipers to help the shubarts blend in and not be so "in my face". I get your wish for the pink flowers. Nothing beats that in the spring.

You know, somebody could make a lot of money if they'd hang around places and deliver stuff for people that don't have a way to get things home the minute they buy it, LOL. I'd have twice as much planting to do =:)

Bookmark   May 15, 2010 at 10:56AM

Today i bought two bags of potting mix from the store. Someone looked at it, and said, "That looks like it means work". I said "Nope, looks like it means fun!" And i'm sure twice as much planting would be twice as much fun for you!

Bookmark   May 15, 2010 at 4:47PM
More Discussions
Native plum wood collection along with many others.
If anybody in my area calgary or alberta is looking...
mattpf
Carmine Jewel Dwarf Cherry Tree
Hi I was just wondering if anyone has grown one of...
troman1973
Mature spruce with double leader
Hi everyone, I have a question that I can't find the...
Violetjune Zone 3
Raspberries for zone 4
Hi Far N gardeners, I'm not exactly "far"...
eatsivy
So How Many?
Yeah, its winter and I am bored being stuck inside...
SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™