tomao fungus

oilpainter(3)May 31, 2009

Hi:

We have had a problem with fungus in our vegetable garden. It started in the strawberries and I finally pulled them all. The tomatoes are fine until it rains and then the bottom leaves turn brown from the rain splashing on the leaves. It gradually spreads up the plant.

We have tried different fungicides, mulching with special red tomato plastic and just mulch, but the problem persists.

Anyone else have this problem and what did you do about it?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Pudge 2b

I assume you're practicing crop rotation and this occurs with more than one variety of tomato? There are quite a few different problems that could occur with tomato leaves, but it kinda sounds like bacterial canker to me. If so, apparently it is carried with seeds so if you're saving seed or using the same seed then that could be one of the reasons you're always having the problem.

Here's a good link about tomato diseases

Here is a link that might be useful: bacterial canker & others

Bookmark   May 31, 2009 at 6:38PM
oilpainter(3)

No I don't save seed I buy my seeds from one of 3 reputable seed catalogues, so I don't think it is bacterial canker. from the website you put up it sounds more like leaf spot, but I'm not sure of that either. It is worse with cool damp weather. It does happen with every variety and not just one. Whatever it is is in the soil because if I grow them in pots they are ok.

Bookmark   May 31, 2009 at 7:06PM
nutsaboutflowers(2b/3a)

Hey oilpainter. I'm not an expert, but it seems to me you may have blight problems. I'm pretty sure the same blight can affect strawberries and tomatoes. Do the stems of your tomatoes get any black streaks on them? I had blight on my tomatoes in B.C. and if I recall that was one of the main indicators. Blight stays in the soil as far as I remember, and that would explain why you don't have a problem when you plant in pots. Maybe the internet would have pictures you could compare with?

Bookmark   May 31, 2009 at 7:45PM
More Discussions
Cilantro tricks?
Does anyone have any advice to get more leaves out...
northspruce
So How Many?
Yeah, its winter and I am bored being stuck inside...
SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
Grapes that survived (zone 2b)
all my grapes pulled through, except for a straggly...
intotheark
plant swapping in Manitoba
Hi all~ Blustery winter day throughout Manitoba......
bratwithcat
You can do without.....???
Okay I am about to hit the button on the checkout at...
SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™