best figs

ltbee(7)April 4, 2013

I have had a Celeste fig for a couple of yeas and we love it. We are looking to get 2 or 3 more fig trees and wanted to know what varieties people recommend. We live in zone 7. My brother lives in CA and has a humongous tree that produces green figs and they are the sweetest best figs I have ever had... since he bought the property with the trees, it's impossible to know which type of fig it is. What figs would you recommend????

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

Get cuttings from your brothers fig and root them. You don't need the name to grow the same figs.

Bookmark   April 4, 2013 at 11:52PM
Noogy(6 sw mi)

Rooting is really easy to do. I've had mine rooting for 3 weeks and they're leafing out. I have to baby them for another 3 and harden them off outside gradually in their new bigger pots. I've never grown figs before and was sent 10 different varieties from a friend who thought I should try.
Good luck getting dormant cuttings at this time.
Noogy

Bookmark   April 7, 2013 at 8:21AM
geoff_ri(6)

Rooting is a good idea...but I would also suggest doing an air layering. It's easy and has the potential to provide you with a good sized plant right off the bat instead of waiting for a cutting to become established.

Bookmark   April 10, 2013 at 4:58PM
girlbug2(z9/10, Sunset zone 24)

I see you're in zone 7. I am in zone 9/10, and the varieties which do well in my microclimate (and thus, which tend to taste best when grown here) are semicoastal-adapted varieties that don't need high heat to ripen in summertime: Black Mission, Black Jack (purple with red/amber interiors), Peter's Honey (green/yellow with amber interior), Violette de Bordeaux (purple with red interior), and Lattarulla (green/yellow with pale amber interior).

That being said, I planted a variety 3 years ago which is supposed to need high heat, but it did very well anyway: Panache Tiger, a striped exterior with a red interior. It produced good fruits in all heat levels, but last year when we had exceptionally high temps, it was better than ever. OTOH, that same high heat wilted my Black Jack tree and its fruit was terrible.

Perhaps you could be more specific about what type of climate/temps you have, to get better recommendations.

Bookmark   May 5, 2013 at 11:09AM
americanfigboy(5)

just take your brothers as suggested above. Many people grow no name figs.

Bookmark   May 5, 2013 at 8:20PM
fignewby(7)

If your brother lives in CA, what part? if he lives in Souther CA, he may have a Smyrna type fig or Calimyrna type which needs a tiny wasp from a Caprifig for the fig to ripen. If you don't know, take some cuttings and try them. You will know for sure in 3-4 years. For me in east, TN , zone 7, Sals, Hardy Chicago, Celeste, Red & Green Italian, Patrick Super Giant all have been good producers. They are common figs, ( meaning no wasp needed). These same varieties do well in other parts of zone 7 also. CH.

Bookmark   May 6, 2013 at 2:21PM
More Discussions
Should I prune this?
Hi, Northeast LA. Sunset 20, zone 10 I just transplanted...
Matthew Grayson
Help please!!!
I badly need your help .why do the leaves curl and...
Kimmy Jane Santiago
The Great Boulder Fig Planting Experiment
Let me first say I'm not a fan of rooting figs inside....
Suzi AKA DesertDance Zone 9b
Nexoe fig variety from Danemark
I got my hands on this variety about two months ago...
frozbig
fiddle leaf fig dilemma - one healthy, one w/ incredibly droopy leaves
About a month and a half ago I purchased a 3/4 foot...
eja27
Sponsored Products
"Buoyant Awakening I" Abstract Print - MULTI COLORS
$500.00 | Horchow
Cherie Indoor/Outdoor Rug 7'10" x 9'10" - TAN NEUTRAL
$299.00 | Horchow
New Red- Midnight Blue Heriz 3x11 Hand Knotted Wool Runner Floral Area Rug H5435
BH Sun Inc
Safavieh Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Safavieh Rugs Dhurries Ivory/Blue 8 ft. x 10
Home Depot
Imperial International 8 ft. NFL Billiard Table - IMP 64-1001
Hayneedle
Ethan's Pet Kobi Elevated Dog Feeder with Turned Legs - H7N-97127
$79.99 | Hayneedle
Outdoor Lighting. LV43SLV Landscape Lighting Well Light Low Voltage Die Cast Bra
$72.97 | Home Depot
Lily Art Print - 16" x 16"
Grandin Road
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™