I almost did it.....

CrazyDaisy_68May 3, 2008

The picture on the seed package lured me in and I purchased what looked like a lovely white flowering annual plant. Once I arrived home I looked more suspiciously at that picture on the package and I knew that I had nearly been sucked in by the evil, evil Bishops Weed... packaged in lovely "sheeps clothing" to entice the gardening-starved innocents like me **insert evil laugh** mahaaa-haaaaa-haaaa! BUT look who gets the last laugh???? LOL

Ang

who is getting her gardening groove back!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
glen3a(Winnipeg MB 3A)

Well, if you have a certain area to fill in, I suppose Bishops Gout Weed serves it's purpose. I think most gardeners, however, like to diversify their plantings and not have one plant fill an entire 8 x 3 foot flower bed.

My weakness was visiting the local store where they apparently "sell for less" everyday. It's an annual tradition for me, if you go there this time of year, they often get one gallon conifers and shrubs in stock. Some years you can find unique plants that sometimes I have trouble finding at the garden centre. Last year it was 'degroot's spire' cedar and 'curly tops' falsecypress. Anyways, this year they seemed to have a good selection but unfortunately, most plants were listed as 'zone 5' right on the tag.

So, my common sense kept me from buying those azaleas (they weren't even the northern lites ones). I even passed on the wiegela because I didn't recognize it as a hardy type. I bought a pachysandra terminalis groundcover which might make it. I did cave, however, on a plant called pieris japonica 'forest flame' despite the zone 5 rating on the tag. When I got home I researched on the internet, hoping I'd find at least one source saying zone 4, maybe zone 3? Nope. So, I have either purchased a dieback shrub or an expensive annual.

Glen

Bookmark   May 3, 2008 at 10:47PM
More Discussions
Trying new tree varieties and update on rare trees
Hey everyone, What are some of the trees you've all...
www.eclipselandscaping.ca
Carmine Jewel Dwarf Cherry Tree
Hi I was just wondering if anyone has grown one of...
troman1973
What do you know about blacknot?
The last 3 years or so with more moisture during growing...
Konrad___far_north
Mahogany Splendor Hibiscus
I was wanting to grow this hibiscus. Everything I've...
marricgardens
Northland Crab apple
This is an older Mn. variety that is supposed to be...
sandbur2
Sponsored Products
Dianthus Personalized Throw Pillow - ADJ-WNP-WFIL
$49.99 | Hayneedle
Hamilton Chair - Lucky Turquoise Blue
Joybird Furniture
Taylor Brushed Nickel Three-Light Bath Light
$229.00 | Bellacor
Dimplex Bravado II Espresso Electric Fireplace Dark Brown - DFP18-1041E
$449.00 | Hayneedle
Modern Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Chandra Rugs Gems Red/Purple 9 ft. x 13 ft.
Home Depot
'Princess' Print
$14.99 | zulily
Berkley Heritage Bronze Pendant
$214.00 | Bellacor
Modern Indoor/Outdoor Surya Rugs Jill Rosenwald Light Taupe 2 ft. 6 in. x 8 ft.
Home Depot
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™