Mildew on heirloom sweet pea vines

olivia13043(Zone 7)June 14, 2013

I have heirloom vines from Monticello I planted a few years ago. They return but this year leaves are wrinkled and appear to have mildew. Any advice?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
schoolhouse_gw

olivia, I planted the "Orchid" sweet peas said to have been a favorite of Thomas Jefferson's last Spring. They over wintered and are growing great - strong, vigorous vines, climbing up the trellises (sp?) and beginning to sprawl along the ground. They are in shade this time of day but I will take a photo tomorrow. When do yours normally begin to bloom?

Because they are new to me, I have no advice but will certainly be on the lookout for deformed foliage and mildew.

Bookmark   June 14, 2013 at 6:55PM
schoolhouse_gw

Finally snapped a photo of my three Monticello "Orchids". These are growing on rough trellis on the back of the little barn (or my cottage as I imagined it lol). Just Wednesday I noticed what I think are flower buds on just one vine (third photo). I haven't given the plants any fertilizer for fear of just getting more foliage. So far no mildew but might be some bug bites.

Bookmark   June 21, 2013 at 11:00AM
florauk(8/9)

The plants in the pictures look like Lathyrus latifolius, a perennial pea but sadly scentless. Also known as everlasting pea. The use of the term 'orchid' for this sweet pea is rather confusing since there is strain of Lathyrus odorus, true sweet peas, called 'orchid'. These are annual and scented. If you have a perennial sweet pea it will be L latifolius and I am afraid it will have no scent.

Bookmark   June 23, 2013 at 11:35AM
schoolhouse_gw

Yes, I know they are Lathyrus Latifolius, an unscented perennial sweet pea. Renee's Seeds call them "Garden Orchids", but I bought them mainly because it is said Thomas Jefferson grew them at Monticello.

I already have a perennial sweet pea down in the orchard that I planted many years ago, it is also unscented but its vines are a grey-green, not bright green. The flowers resemble very much the photos of the Latifolius on Renee's web site from (customers). Mainly the white with pale pink, not the darker violet or reddish pink shown. I'm thinking (or hoping) perhaps these "Garden Orchids" of Jefferson's will have some darker pink blooms.

Bookmark   June 23, 2013 at 5:24PM
schoolhouse_gw

Just snapped this photo of my heirloom swt.pea vines, showing the bloom color. And I'm very happy that there are dark magenta (or dark pink) blooms on one vine so far.

Bookmark   July 7, 2013 at 3:28PM
More Discussions
Wanting to sow my wild flower seeds, have questions
Recently a gas line was installed in front of our house...
Lilyfinch z7 mid tn
Loving my coleus combos this year
I have used coleus plants in bare spots around my garden...
winsomegardener
Hardiness zone
How do I place my hardiness zone next to my name? ...
marielle(zone4b-5a)
Hillside cottage garden
Hello! I am going to make my first ever attempt at...
rickcrum
Weekend Trivia - Saturday
Good Saturday morning, Cottagers! Spring is definitely...
midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
Sponsored Products
Leopard Luxe Blue Outdoor Pillow
$119.00 | FRONTGATE
'Love Lives' Magnet
$6.49 | zulily
A & L Furniture Sundown Agora 75 in. Swingbed Cushion - 1003-BURGUNDY-3711
$254.99 | Hayneedle
Hamilton Silver Three-Light Amethyst and Rose Rock Crystal Wall Sconce, 14.5W x
Bellacor
Pastel Parade Giclee Brushed Nickel Garth Floor Lamp
Lamps Plus