Fig Variety identification

jgkonnully(11)April 14, 2011

I have purchase a Fig Sapling from a nearby Nursery in Hyderabad, India. The Leaf resesmbles shape of the Heart or Spade in a deck of cards. Can you tell me the fig variety. Is it Hamma Caprifig??

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
frozenjoe(9 Arizona)

Glad to hear that the forum has members growing figs in India. That's really cool. As far as identification goes, it is very hard to identify a variety without photos of the leaves and the fruit. I have an unknown that I am waiting to have identified as well, but I have to wait until the fall when I have pictures of fruit and leaves to post. Best luck with your fig. If it's a caprifig it probably won't produce edible fruit. Hopefully it's not a caprifig.

Joe

Bookmark   April 18, 2011 at 11:13PM
cazimere(MD 7)

Even with pics of leaves and figs, it just a guessing game. Lots of different figs out there that look a lot alike. Only way to tell for sure is to send samples to somewhere like UC Davis and have them analyzed. Not sure if they would do that without a hefty fee.

Bookmark   April 19, 2011 at 9:57AM
fignut

jgkonnully, your description sounds like it might be Ficus auriculata, the Elephant Ear fig. An internet search should bring up pictures to compare with your fig.

Bookmark   April 23, 2011 at 8:24PM
jgkonnully(11)

Thanks. I finally identified my Fig Sapling as "Ficus Auricula ta or Elephant Ear fig. It is planted in semi-shade, southwest backyard of my house. It gets about 2 hrs of sunshine everyday.

Bookmark   April 25, 2011 at 10:43AM
More Discussions
I just bought a fig tree!!
Hi all, I recently bought a fig tree, a "Lattarula"...
mssfiggy
New ficus lyrata & ficus elastica...cold shock?
I brought home 3 new houseplants from the hardware...
mandalynrael
Best fig tree for Piedmont-SC?
Hi, I have a sunny front yard with some space. I would...
okyard1980
Cincinnati, OH Hardy chicago fig Hardy chicago fig 2015
The picture below is carried over from last year. Hardy...
Steve, Micro (6B ground, 5B roof)
Italian Honey
She was all fine on till August 2014 and then look...
bluemoonlight
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™