blooms

hester_2009January 29, 2012

Happy Sunday morning to all...here are a few blooms

these broms I found in someone's trash - probably because they are very spikey but the color is incredible. The photo doesn't really do justice but the best I could do.

A nice boug in bloom

and I've posted this thunbergia before but I can't believe it just keeps going and going!

The rest of the garden looks a little sad - dry and yellow leaves but spring can't be too far away, I hope.

Thanks for looking,

Hester

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
crueltyfre(Tampa 9a heat 10 sunset 26)

so pretty!
Lori

Bookmark   January 29, 2012 at 9:59AM
kayjones(Mo6b)

Oh, Hester - all the pictured plants are so pretty! What are the cone-shaped blooms from?

Bookmark   January 29, 2012 at 12:19PM
wallisadi

keep the pics coming.....love 'em. i'm not just looking at the plant, but what else you got going there????...:)

Bookmark   January 29, 2012 at 6:59PM
katkin_gw

Hester, lovely pics as always. My garden is looking sad too, with a lot of yellowing leaves. Can't believe the lubbers are hatching already. :o(

Bookmark   January 30, 2012 at 7:17AM
annafl(z9b/10a Sarasota)

Hester, those bromeliads are gorgeous. I can't believe that thurnbergia looks as gorgeous as it does almost year-round. It's a keeper. Mine is finally blooming pretty well, but I really planted it in the wrong spot. I've been thinking about going to 'your' nursery again sometime soon, but I don't know if I could find it! My yard is looking sad too so I need a plant fix. I also need to find a permanent spot for your lovely ginger and I severely cut back your morning glory bush. Miss seeing your yard. Maybe next month we could get together again.

Anna

Bookmark   January 30, 2012 at 8:53AM
marcia_m(5 and 9)

Very nice, Hester. I enjoyed seeing your blooms. I wish I had mature trees to protect some of my plants from frost. I have a few blooms on my bottlebrush tree and a newly planted camellia has flowers. So I planted lantana, penta and verbena in a pot for some color--it makes me feel a little better :)
Marcia

Bookmark   January 30, 2012 at 9:15AM
hester_2009

Hi Anna!
Thanks for looking - I know, that thunbergia is crazy plus I've cut it back twice. almost time to do it again, as it gets a little ratty looking at the base.
Good thing you cut back the morning glory as it will return bigger and better soon - I've done the same with mine as the cold got to them.
The nursery is on Lockwood Ridge at about 49th st. I still go once a week at least and my last fix were 2 blooming, very fragrant buddelias for pots.
You are welcome here anytime although there are not many blooms this time of year as you know. But I always enjoy seeimg you!

Marcia - My bottlebrushes are not blooming yet - they start in March and I can't wait - it makes my front area look so great!
Like you, I need color this time of year which is why I love my pots of thai crown of thorns and geraniums.
You're right about big trees and protection - my side yard is shaded but out back where it's all open , there was lots of cold damage. My solution is just to not go out there!
Glad you liked the pics,
Hester

Bookmark   January 30, 2012 at 9:36AM
More Discussions
New Floridian gardener
Im a snowbird who is loving gardening all year long...
juttz
Looking for wax jambu and Barbados cherry cuttings
Looking to purchase some cuttings of the following...
poetie
Jungle Growth at Lowes?
Is Lowes no longer carrying Jungle Growth Potting soil?...
sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)
bought a green shell ginger--will I be sorry?
I rescued a green Alpinia zerumbet (not the variegated...
marcia_m
African Irises just bloomed; they're pretty
The plants bloomed nine mos after being stuck in the...
stewbrew FL_10b
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™