Yearly upkeep?

shw104(7)June 20, 2011

I planted day lilies 5 years ago. They seem to be growing very well, however, the last two years they have not gotten as many flowers. The lilies appear to be healthy and are slowly spreading. I have not fertilized them since they were planted. Should I be and if so, when and how much? Do I need to be doing anything else with them after years of growth? They are growing in various location in my mulch beds.

Thank you for the help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
organic_kitten(8)

I an't tell you what you should do, but I fertizize mine as soon as the the leaves are up good and the plant has started growing each early spring with alfalfa meal. Then 3 to 4 weeks later, they get fish emulsion, Then a month or so later they get a Miracle Grow, and my last fertilization before bloom will be whatever I decide at the time. Here, They also require (and didn't get it soon enough or often enough) spray for thrips.Someone else will answer, and they are sure to have a totally different plan.

kay

Bookmark   June 20, 2011 at 10:40AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jim2009-gardener(7)

Some varieties perform better if divided every three or four years - that is most common problem when it comes to blooming. Daylilies also bloom better in full sun or so I've read maybe true as I have some that are lush & green but not many blooms due to being in the shade. I don't fertilize as I used to do and I can see a difference. Gonna do better with this next year.

Bookmark   June 20, 2011 at 11:18AM
More Discussions
Thank you Sherry
Thank you, Sherry, for starting the alphabet posts....
hoosier_nan (IN z5b/6a)
NOIDS
Like Indian cast system the NOIDs appear to be low...
brigarif Khan
Trying multiple pics
This is an experiment to see if I can insert muliple...
sherrygirl zone5
Clean up and beautify Garden Web!
You can add an extension to your browser for Firefox...
Brad KY
As I Promised, Photos...Spring's Coming
Here you go, As I said, it is just the beginning, but...
organic_kitten
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™