Got really blessed out today!

organic_kitten(8)June 23, 2013

I decided to tackle the monstrous job of deadheading the New Dawn rose today. I had already taken care of the easy to reach part, so I got my ladder and climbed up and started clipping.

I head some "mumbling" and continued when all at once, severe squawking ensued. Momma Mocking bird was letting me know, in no uncertain terms, that she did not appreciate the intrusion. I hadn't realized she had a nest. I went to the other side and did as much as I could without disturbing her too much. I am maybe 2/3 of the way through. What a grouch!

kay

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cyn427(z7aN. VA)

Those mockingbirds really do let you know when you are intruding, don't they?! We used to have one that would rest atop the chimney and sing down to us. We could whistle back and he/she would indeed 'mock' us returning our whistle. Love them-grouchy or not. ;)

Bookmark   June 23, 2013 at 4:46PM
too_many_pets(LI Z7)

Maybe I should be embarrassed to admit this, but I have never dead-headed my New Dawn. Will it rebloom if I do so ? Thanks!

Bookmark   June 23, 2013 at 8:48PM
organic_kitten(8)

Yes indeed it will re-bloom but only if deadheaded. It won't give you the massive initial bloom, but it is pretty nice nonetheless. Look at your rose. It has probably made a lot of hips, and is, in effect, "pregnant" so doesn't need to bloom anymore. Dead head the monster and she will reward you.
kay

Bookmark   June 23, 2013 at 10:52PM
plantmaven(8b/9a TX)

We have a mocking bird around here that rings like a phone.
When a say "a", I mean a. He/she is the only one here. Once in a while we see a second one.
Kathy

Bookmark   June 24, 2013 at 9:18AM
eclecticcottage(6b wny)

One here does a great car alarm...

Bookmark   June 25, 2013 at 8:08PM
organic_kitten(8)

That is so funny! They really are mockers. Momma Mocker was grumbling at me today while I picked blueberries. Tough. Can't leave them all for the birds.

kay

Bookmark   June 26, 2013 at 9:29PM
eclecticcottage(6b wny)

It was funny the first time or two. It does the ENTIRE thing, someone somewhere didn't shut it off, so it goes through the whole cycle (about 3-5 minutes long). Now it's like "oh, come on, learn a new one"! I think it's probably a catbird rather than a mockingbird, but I've never seen the source. You can tell it's a bird though. At least it hasn't learned from the seasonal neighbor's parrot (they come up for the summer)! Although whatever bird they have it's not a big screecher (thank goodness), it LOVES to call the cats "here kitty kitty kitty" all the time!

Bookmark   June 28, 2013 at 12:29PM
too_many_pets(LI Z7)

Thanks Kay

Bookmark   June 30, 2013 at 7:28PM
More Discussions
Jane's work in progress
Jane emailed me a picture of the project she's still...
aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
Backyard birding
Last fall i had posted that i was having trouble attracting...
Lilyfinch z7 mid tn
Weekend Trivia: Sunday
Good morning all. It is warmer here today, but seems...
cyn427 (zone 7)
An Irish Cottage Garden.
Not my own Irish Cottage Garden this time,..i have...
nulty
Received my seeds today
So psyched !!! Can't wait for spring !!!!
Cenepk10
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™