Why poor top, but strong root growth?

feijoas(New Zealand)May 6, 2013

I have a 'brunoro black' that's several years old, but only 3-4 ft tall.
I've headed it back a few times, mainly in an attempt to get the thing to bush out a bit. It's pruned to an open centre.
It has produced some (not loads) fruit right from it's first season, but is a very weak grower.
I'm not all that familiar with figs, but they generally seem to put on a lot of wood every season, even in less than ideal conditions.
It was in a 15 gallon pot, and I decided to put it, and its pot in the ground last season, basically in an attempt to restrict its size and stop it getting into the old ceramic water pipes. Well, that was a bit too effective: it barely grew last season.
I'd seriously root-pruned it before I repotted it, and expected poor root growth to match the top, but the pot was full of healthy roots, and they had escaped out through the extra holes I'd drilled.
I heavily root pruned it again, headed back the growing tips, changed the medium (composted bark fines, compost, perlite, a little soil) and replanted it.
I'd usually do this kind of thing in early spring, but it had to happen now. The coldest I get is a bit of a frost, so I'm not too worried.
Maybe I should just get rid of it and get another?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
herman2_gw

Your Potting soil is poor,and the plant is developing multiple roots to squise out the last of every nutrient in that pot,and the moisture for that matter.
At last if it can't find enough nutrients inside pot ,it looks outside the pot in the soil to get what it needs.

Bookmark   May 6, 2013 at 9:21PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
feijoas(New Zealand)

Thanks. I'll see how I can improve the potting soil without using artificial fertilisers.
I have read many threads re potting media and organic growing, so I'm aware that it's problematic!

Bookmark   May 7, 2013 at 1:39AM
More Discussions
Figs not growing further after fruit set?
I bought three fig trees (Adam, Cape Brown and White...
Jacques (MP, South Africa) S
site and variety selection
hi, all, I'm new to California and am excited to try...
emmers_m
Lob Injir (Myrna or Calimyrna cuttings)
I'l like have cuttings of Lob Injir (....), I've allowable...
sergnic
Cuttings with mold.
When I took my three bags of cuttings out of the fridge...
recoil_rob
Easy propagation method
I may have posted this before but I've read a number...
leon_edmond
Sponsored Products
Verve Violet Ovo Table Lamp
$99.99 | Lamps Plus
Alvin Titan II Solid Oak Split Top Drafting Table - WSB60
$759.99 | Hayneedle
Cherry Stained Vanity and Baltic Brown Granite Top
Overstock.com
Serena & Lily Bennington Lamp
Serena & Lily
24-oz. Brie en Croute - PEAR/CRANBERRY
$65.00 | Horchow