Honey Locusts on the Prairies????

andres_zone3May 29, 2012

I found some reasonably priced Honey Locust at Rona the other day and I am wondering how these trees do in Edmonton and through out the prairies. Are they reliably hardy? I know the city has planted several locust trees throughout the city but none of these look like honey locust. Any thoughts..

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
davidcalgary29(2b)

That covers an awful lot of territory! The native range of G. Triacanthos extends only barely into southwestern Ontario, and I really don't think that you have any type of chance north of Highway 1 in Alberta (or Manitoba). You could try it in a sheltered spot, but I'd expect winterkill above the snow line every year. That being said, you may as well give it a shot if you want to experiment! And you never know -- you might pick a genetic oddity that has a higher tolerance for cold winters.

Bookmark   May 29, 2012 at 10:21PM
Collin001

The two I would consider are the new cultivars out of the North Dakota Research Foundation.

Your options are:
Northern Acclaim Honeylocust, Gleditsia triacanthos "Harve" or Prairie Silk Honeylocust, Gleditsia triacanthos "Prairie Silk".

Do a plant search and go from there.

Bookmark   June 1, 2012 at 12:17PM
oiltown

Edmonton has over 100 honeylocusts planted currently by the city over the past 5 years. Many of them are doing perfectly fine and have had no dieback. They are the "shademaster" variety. Don't be afraid to plant them. Greenland garden carries them.

The best spot to find them is just south of whyte avenue and north of 76ave between 104st and 109st. There are also many in Hawreluk Park now. Here is a picture from a couple years ago of some on a boulevard and they are still doing perfectly well.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/23840945@N05/3956567517/

Bookmark   June 11, 2012 at 12:07PM
don555(3a)

Oiltown, I had a great tour of your flickr "unique tree" pics!

... do you have any update on how any of the magnolia, windmill palm, or sweet gum trees are doing since your pics of 3 or so years ago?

Bookmark   June 13, 2012 at 2:28AM
More Discussions
Snows not here but lets talk roses anyways 2014
Well, this was an explosive year in the rose dept for...
SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
climbing roses
Hi, I'm considering pillaring some climbing roses....
rosecanadian
Blackberry 2014 update...
The other thread was getting too long. Please post...
Konrad___far_north
Posting a picture from photobucket.
Over in the hosta forum I've learned how to post a...
north53 Z1b MB
Mature spruce with double leader
Hi everyone, I have a question that I can't find the...
Violetjune Zone 3
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™