Honeysuckle vine - how much sun?

northspruce(z3a MB CDA)May 31, 2009

Well-meaning DH bought me a honeysuckle vine (Dropmore Scarlet I believe) and a clematis for Mother's Day and I didn't really have anywhere to put them. I found a place for the clematis but the honeysuckle is still in its pot. Has anyone ever grown one in half shade? It would get dappled to direct sun on and off until about noon or 1 pm, then the sun goes around the corner of the house for the rest of the day. Would this be enough? Or should I just give it away to someone who has a spot for it?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
north53 Z1b MB(zone 1b Canada)

I have mine in a similar situation. It faces east so gets lots of morning sun, but in the afternoon is totally shaded by a tree. It grows and blooms okay, but I'm almost to the point of pulling it out due to the losing battle I have with the aphids on it. I've wondered is the lower light situation is stressing the plant and making it more susceptible to the problem. But I'm just guessing.

Bookmark   May 31, 2009 at 10:55PM
sierra_z2b

My honeysuckle was in mostly shade and it flowered fine. I never saw any aphids on it. The problem with mine was winterkill. And last summer it had so much winterkill that DH shovel pruned it. It had been in my garden for hmmm 8 to 10 years though.

Sierra

Bookmark   June 1, 2009 at 11:21AM
northspruce(z3a MB CDA)

Ok thanks for the input... I think I'm going to go for it. It can only die, right? Then DH will learn to buy me non-climbers in the future.

Bookmark   June 1, 2009 at 10:20PM
More Discussions
Native plum wood collection along with many others.
If anybody in my area calgary or alberta is looking...
mattpf
Magnolia xloebner "Spring Welcome"
Hi, Does anyone know where to get this Magnolia in...
pricklypoppy
Northland Crab apple
This is an older Mn. variety that is supposed to be...
sandbur2
Greenhouse in a Box
Hello Everyone :) For those of you who have received...
nutsaboutflowers
Raspberries for zone 4
Hi Far N gardeners, I'm not exactly "far"...
eatsivy
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™