Tomato and Raspberry...viruses or blights

northernmn(3/4)May 15, 2013

I finally had to fence in my fruit garden to keep the deer from chewing up everything. I oversized the fenced in area so that I could gradually add some vegie garden space inside of the fence as well. I am wondering if I plant tomatoes in the same area as the raspberries.... will I be putting the raspberries at a higher risk of getting diseases that the tomatoes were a vector for?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
weeper_11(2b SK)

From what I've read, you shouldn't plant tomatoes near raspberries..I think disease that is common in tomato can spread to raspberries. It sounds like in general raspberries should be planted apart from veggies. I'm not sure about distance, though.

We have a large-ish area fenced off in our yard against deer also. Both the raspberries and the veggies are within the fence, but they are a ways apart. Probably 50 ft. You could plant them as far from each other as possible and hope for the best.

However, it does sound like the biggest issue is just to make sure you don't plant raspberries where tomatoes (and a few other plants) have been planted previously, so maybe a nearby but separate planting is no big deal.

Bookmark   May 16, 2013 at 12:10AM
northernmn(3/4)

Thank you weeper. I was afraid that might be the answer. I did know that they should never share soil where the other has been grown.

Peppers are in the same family as tomatoes, but my peppers seem to always stay disease free. Maybe I'll plant them in that spot instead of the tomatoes.

Bookmark   May 16, 2013 at 10:14PM
north53 Z1b MB(zone 1b Canada)

I had never heard about that. For years I had them growing side by side. Then one year I pulled out the raspberries because they were infected with something.
So now my question is...are there other combos to absolutely avoid? Keep in mind that I have a very small yard, so some things are unavoidable.

Bookmark   May 17, 2013 at 1:08PM
shazam_z3

Potatoes and raspberries are another combination no-no.

Bookmark   May 17, 2013 at 1:46PM
weeper_11(2b SK)

The ones I've heard of are: don't plant raspberries by tomatoes, potatoes, eggplant or peppers. It's probably OK most of the time..until you have problems.

Bookmark   May 17, 2013 at 2:07PM
More Discussions
plant swapping in Manitoba
Hi all~ Blustery winter day throughout Manitoba......
bratwithcat
Mature spruce with double leader
Hi everyone, I have a question that I can't find the...
Violetjune Zone 3
What do you know about blacknot?
The last 3 years or so with more moisture during growing...
Konrad___far_north
Cilantro tricks?
Does anyone have any advice to get more leaves out...
northspruce
Seeds
Can't wait for spring....
prairie_northrose (3a north of Calgary, AB, Canada)
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™