How to kill a fig tree?

dickscovered(Sth France)May 18, 2006

This probably sounds like heresy to some on this forum, but I need to kill a wild fig tree that is growing in an awkward spot? Has anyone killed one intentionally?

Thanks in advance

David

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

David:

You are right, most here couldn't kill a fig. But I once lived near the worthless wild kind and I'm not a fig lover unless they're dried! Anyway, I'd try a very heavy dose of Roundup applied to the foliage when the tree is growing rapidly. After the leaves fall off, cut the top down. Wait if you can to see if the tree sprouts back from the ground. If so wait until it gets a foot or two tall and spray again. That will likely do the trick. If there is no sensitive vegetation nearby, adding some 2,4D to the Roundup would help.

The Fruitnut

Bookmark   May 18, 2006 at 6:14PM
bjs496

FIRST THE DA VINCI CODE, NOW THIS... IS NOTHING SACRED ANYMORE???

LOL. I would think you could use a shovel and cut a 18-24 inch(60cm if my math is correct) diameter ring around the tree about 12-16 inches (40cm) deep, and pull it out while beating the soil off the roots to fill your hole. I've begun digging a tree out of the ground to move back into a pot, so I'm taking more of the root mass with it, but I am using this method.

~james

Bookmark   May 18, 2006 at 6:19PM
greenwitch(Sz19 SoCal)

Yeah, I asked this question last year when a bird planted a tree in an inconvenient spot in the backyard - the fruit is huge, dry and insipid though. After all the shrieks and fainting, someone recommended wrapping tightly some wire around the trunk or remove the bark and cambium all the way around.

Bookmark   May 19, 2006 at 4:22PM
More Discussions
Cincinnati, OH Hardy chicago fig Hardy chicago fig 2015
The picture below is carried over from last year. Hardy...
Steve, Micro (6B ground, 5B roof)
the f4f forum
I hope the folks leaving f4f will come here as I will...
mgginva
Help please!!!
I badly need your help .why do the leaves curl and...
Kimmy Jane Santiago
Best fig tree for Piedmont-SC?
Hi, I have a sunny front yard with some space. I would...
okyard1980
I am Phil from Northern Ohio.
I am here amongst many very good fig friends and I...
peak42
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™