Hardiness question:Heuchera,Muscari

johnsalvoMay 15, 2009

Hi, I was wondering if any of the heucheras have survived in zone 3? The darker foliage colors, the purples,blues and blacks? Also are Muscaris hardy in 3? I am getting mixed results for the same plants from the various nurseries. Any help would be great.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden

I planted three heucheras last summer, two dark blackish and one peach colored. I can't recall the names at this moment but all three made it through the winter very healthy and full. Never grew one till now and I plan to plant more. I am in Edmonton zone 3a and the plants are close to an east fence. Lots of snow cover and mostly full sun exposure.

Ginny

Bookmark   May 16, 2009 at 12:13AM
oilpainter(3)

Hi:
I have coral bells that I had given to me many years ago by another gardener. They are an old variety with green foliage and pink flowers. I love this plant It thrives in full sun as wrll as shade.

That's why I bought a couple of the newer varieties with the colored leaves. The burgandy leaved white flowered ones lasted through one winter and the gold-orange leaved one didn't make it through the first winter.

I would have to say that the older varieties are much hardier than any of the new ones

Bookmark   May 16, 2009 at 8:08AM
mytime(3/4 Alaska)

Last year I needed a lot of plants to fill in a new garden, and Home Depot carried many varieties of heuchera...so I bought at least one of each variety they had. Results have been variable, but it is still too early to give up on any plant here. We had a lousy winter...all the snow melted the day after Christmas, and then before we got any more, it got cold and stayed cold. Any plant that survived in my garden this last winter is plenty hardy. All the varieties I bought were purple-leaved except for one caramel-colored one (I don't remember the name of that one right now, but it survived).

Bookmark   May 16, 2009 at 12:29PM
johnsalvo

Thanks very much everybody, that helped a great deal! I was pretty sure they were probably hardy enough but I hate to buy them and kill them. Thanks again.

Bookmark   May 17, 2009 at 12:37PM
jetred(3 Mb)

I have had luck with some Heuchera, and others not. I think location is also important.

Bookmark   May 19, 2009 at 12:15AM
More Discussions
Potted peonies already coming up in garage! What do I do?
Hi everyone, After my winter hibernation, I am back!...
ostrich
Blackberry 2014 update...
The other thread was getting too long. Please post...
Konrad___far_north
Magnolia xloebner "Spring Welcome"
Hi, Does anyone know where to get this Magnolia in...
pricklypoppy
Apricots in Flower
Capilano Apricot trees in Edmonton, picture from today. One...
Konrad___far_north
What do you know about blacknot?
The last 3 years or so with more moisture during growing...
Konrad___far_north
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™