conifers and/or evergreens in containers

zephyrgal(8 NW Oregon)September 2, 2011

I want to select 2 conifers or evergreens to grace the door entrance to our new garage/garden shed. The building is white with red trim. Ideally the plants to be slow growing and narrow and please not an arborvitae. Does anyone have a nice photo they could share to give me ideas? Perhaps a Juniper or type of Cuspressus or soemthing new? It will have full afternoon sun and be close to the driveway/pavement. Thanks for your suggestions.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

how about a pic of the shed... ?? wouldnt that be the starting point????

and are they going in the ground.. or in pots???

red is the opposite of green on the color wheel .. so one intensifies the other .... but the blues can be very appealing if its an adobe/brick red rather than barn red ...

ken

Bookmark   September 3, 2011 at 9:00AM
gardener365(5b Illinois USA)

Juniperus communis 'Compressa'

Cupressus nootkatensis 'Van Den Akker' (10' x 1' in 10-12-15 years) sold as Chamaecyparis nootkatensis 'Van Den Akker'
note: you miss-spelled Cupressus as Cuspressus.

Abies koreana 'Gait'

Sciadopity's verticillata 'Joe Kozey' (Bethlehem Nursery)

Dax

Bookmark   September 3, 2011 at 9:10AM
bboy(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

The cypress cultivar is over 70' tall in plantings here, with proportionate crown spreads (depiction of it remaining 1' wide after years of growth is, frankly, ridiculous). Site where multiple specimens were measured with a scientific instrument was indicated by a member of the Van Den Akker family as a location to see large examples of the clone - which this party still propagates and sells to the nursery trade. 5 gallon pot size and larger are produced in a comparatively short time, in this climate most will be much too big for a small tub after 10-15 years - it is not a dwarf at all.

Originally this form was sold by the family as 'Pendula'. Name 'Van Den Akker' appears to have been coined by T. Buchholz.

Bookmark   September 3, 2011 at 11:34AM
More Discussions
A question for the grafters among you
Hi,with experience,I've realised the main hurdle to...
gary77788
Pseudotsuga macrocarpa photo
A photo of my pseudotsuga macrocarpa
bluethuja
Name Game
Hi Folks, Im making a few name tags today and im stuck...
alley_cat_gw
Araucaria seed search
Hi, Does anyone happen to know where I can find seeds...
Mike726
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™