Fresh eggs in St. Pete?

saintpflaJanuary 19, 2012

Does anyone know if there is anywhere to buy fresh eggs in St. Pete?

I was thinking of doing the 'backyard hen house' until I realized how much work I'd be adding to my already overflowing plate. So, buying fresh eggs is a better alternative!

I'm not interested in driving to Ruskin or Tampa, so if it's not close to St Pete, it's not going to happen.

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
saldut

I know there are folks here who grow chickens... when I go to Neeld-Gordon's for my rose-food he has piles of bags of chicken-feed.... I just get my eggs at Publix, but sure wish there was a fresher local source, as well... sally

Bookmark   January 19, 2012 at 5:47PM
saintpfla

Maybe we can make a deal with our GardenWeb friends who like raising chickens to sell us a few eggs... ;)

I buy mine at Publix too. I wish I had more free time...I'd love to have a hen house.

Bookmark   January 19, 2012 at 9:26PM
stuartwanda(N. Stuart)

I get a free doz. when I visit my son over in Okeechobee but that isn't often. I think winter is when they don't lay much if at all. Why not go to Craigs List in your area, you might get lucky there.

Bookmark   January 20, 2012 at 7:18AM
bamboo_rabbit(9A Inverness FL)

You can't beat fresh eggs. Floralcity Lou keeps me well supplied....not sure what he does to those chickens but they lay lots of eggs. Put in a coop if you can. I am adding ducks as soon as spring arrives.

Bookmark   January 20, 2012 at 8:11AM
loufloralcityz9

My chickens lay eggs the full year round even with cold in the teens. I feed them twice a day with pellets and also make pancakes for them. They love the attention and produce well. I also throw 'scratch' grains on the ground to keep them busy.
I have Rhodes Island Reds, the best layers of brown eggs.
Barred Rocks, good layers of dark brown eggs.
Americana, good layers of blue/green eggs.

Lou

Bookmark   January 20, 2012 at 10:22AM
writersblock

Do you have a green market? Ours sells eggs, but for legal reasons they have to sell them as "pet" eggs. They're just fine for human consumption, too, though.

Bookmark   January 20, 2012 at 10:28AM
sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)

Some of the feed stores sell fresh eggs, cows milk, cream etc. Our feed store offered me $2 per dozen for eggs. I usually sell mine as fertile eggs for hatching and get way way more than that though lol. The ones I'm not selling we eat or I give to friends or the dog haha!
Of course this is near Jax but probably, some of the other feed stores do the same. Other places to check are Craigslist and local farmer's markets.

Chickens are easy to keep. If you just wanted eggs all you need is a few hens (no rooster) that are hatchery quality. Sexlinks, rhode island reds, leghorns, orpingtons, barred rocks or something similar. Hatchery stock are bred for egg laying ability because they make most of their $ selling pullets for that purpose. So really great for people who want good egg layers and not show stock.
Our chickens are totally spoiled and free range much of the day on 3+ acres. They get plenty of greens, bugs, and fed scratch and good feed just like a chicken should.
However, their all time favorite is cornbread lol. Sometimes on cold mornings they get warm oatmeal. They eat all the wild blackberries, grapes and beautyberries when they are in season that they can reach.

Bookmark   January 20, 2012 at 1:03PM
billbrandi(9)

Try Graham's on 54th Avenue in Kenneth City/Pinellas Park; great place for fresh veggies/fruit. Eggs? Never asked but they might have them.

Bookmark   January 20, 2012 at 6:48PM
saintpfla

Downtown St. Pete has the Sat.Morning Market, but I have never seen any fresh egss eing sold there. :(

It'd be great to be able to go somewhere to buy fresh milk and fresh eggs vs. Publix. Publix is great, but no store can compete with "fresh".

Bookmark   January 20, 2012 at 10:43PM
writersblock

Saintpfla, if there's anyone selling free range chicken, ask them. Our chicken vendor brings them but they don't promote them (don't need to), and I'm sure lots of people don't realize they're there.

Bookmark   January 21, 2012 at 1:00AM
derbyka

I laughed when I saw this post because I was just thinking of posting the same question yesterday. I don't think I have seen local eggs at Grahams. Just checked craigslist and found that there is going to be a St. Pete Chicken Swap Jan 28. The host sells fresh, organic eggs $5/dozen, 455 33rd Ave. North. 727-331-5972. That is the only one I saw actually in St. Pete. Expensive but close.

Bookmark   January 21, 2012 at 2:06AM
organicmomma89(9)

Saturday Morning Market.. The Dancing Goat Booth.. fresh chicken eggs, quail eggs, and raw milk.. She is there EVERY week!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: The Dancing Goat Facebook Page

Bookmark   January 21, 2012 at 9:44AM
saldut

I would be leery of 'raw milk'... it is pasteurized for a very good reason.... the Times had a write-up awhile back abt. keeping chickens here, I think the Council approved up to 4 hens for a backyard ? Gulfport had a flap abt. Council trying to regulate the chickens, apparently they do have lots of private coops also free-running, and folks got their knickers in a knot when Council tried to regulate their chickens !! Also the Pinellas County got into it and I'm not sure what they decided, for the County, not the cities.... sally

Bookmark   January 21, 2012 at 4:35PM
saintpfla

Thanks OrganicMomma89...I didn't know there was a resource at the Sat Morning Market! I'll have to make a trip next Sat for sure! :)

Bookmark   January 21, 2012 at 11:13PM
organicmomma89(9)

Hey no problem I love her (her name is pam) she has all sorts of goodies and always sells out of most items.. if you get a chance her goat milk soap is AWESOME as well :)

Here is a link that might be useful: I did a post about her awhile ago.. might be worth it for everyone to check out

Bookmark   January 22, 2012 at 6:46PM
sis3

Anyone know of a fresh egg source here in N. Pinellas? I have been trying for years to find a good source!

Bookmark   January 22, 2012 at 8:07PM
tomncath(St Pete Z10a Heat 10)

Hey SPF, I know this post is a little old but if you're making a trip across the Gandy bridge anytime soon I found this post. I was amazed that there was a working farm in south Tapma so close to the Air Force base.

Tom

Bookmark   July 14, 2012 at 9:00AM
sis3

Wow! Thank you so much for posting this, Tom. I am going to check this place out! It could provide the answer to my long search for fresh free range eggs and I can buy honey there too!

Bookmark   July 15, 2012 at 1:34PM
tomncath(St Pete Z10a Heat 10)

My pleasure SIS, can you believe this exists in south Tampa?

Tom

Bookmark   July 15, 2012 at 5:15PM
sis3

No! It's intriguing, I can't wait to take a look!

Bookmark   July 15, 2012 at 5:33PM
More Discussions
Central Florida Vegetables
Broke the rules a bit, and put my tomato transplants...
cfldoc
To garyfla_gw, need help
garyfla_gw can you contact me @ coowpoow@gmail. I have...
halfwaythere1
Plant ID
Hi everyone, I have this "mystery" plant...
bellagirl0614
getting back to the garden...
Got back from Jamaica last night, had a great time!...
whgille
Question about moles
Well, I'm having another Florida wildlife experience. It...
lynne_melb
Sponsored Products
Specialty Laundry Cleaning Kit
$139.50 | FRONTGATE
Smoke Lattice Tapered Lamp Shade 10x12x8 (Spider)
$59.99 | Lamps Plus
Contemporary Deck-Mount Tub Faucet and Hand Shower - Cross Handles
Signature Hardware
Modern Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Orian Rugs Rugs Harrison Rouge 5 ft. 3 in. x 7
Home Depot
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Kas Rugs Rugs Circle Abstract Multi 5 ft.
Home Depot
Green Glass Vase
$24.99 | zulily
Lite Source Vasanti Dark Bronze Arc Floor Lamp
Lamps Plus
Furniture of America Alana Marie Inspired Sliding Door 3 Drawer Dresser - White
$589.99 | Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™