Not sure what to do????

rgvnewf(z5 NL,Canada)May 15, 2013

I am hearing that you can kill your rooted fig cutting when transferring from cups to bigger pots. I have 8 beautifully rooted cuttings in clear plastic cups in a "humidity box" and I want to get them transferred to bigger pots. I have been gradually opening the top of my box (so humidity has been dropping) and I am seeing new growth, so I want to get them potted up to larger pots. Is it time to do it yet and am I still at risk of losoing my trees. I would hate to do anything now that would put me at risk of losing them after this time. This is my first attempt at rooting cuttings and it has been successful to this point

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
terry_upstate_ny(5)

I have seen some very helpful videos on UTube by NewEnglandGardener about rooting cuttings and transplanting figs, have you seen them yet? Watching these videos may help you.
Terry

Bookmark   May 15, 2013 at 8:48AM
treehugger2012

Just don't use very large pots start with reasonable size and after some growth you can re pot. Unreasonable large pots tend to accumulate water and get the roots to rot.

Bookmark   May 16, 2013 at 3:08AM
paully22

Best after up-potting, move plants to humidity box for at least 2 to 3 weeks. Make sure fast draining medium(perlite & bark mulch) used in potting soil & use 1 gal size pots. Good to use a ratio top soil 50% to fast draining media.Treehugger2012 advise is excellent. Larger pots hold much more moisture to kill young plants. Not forgetting make extra drain holes in plastic 1 gal pots. Perched water is enemy No.1. Filtered sunlight, especially morning sun is great.

Bookmark   May 18, 2013 at 8:40AM
More Discussions
looking for smoche fig cutting
Hi, I got a smoche fig plant from a guy in NC a few...
chickenfeedfarm
Negronne 2014
Pictures are from one tree but two different fig fruit....
bluemoonlight
What Fig Variety is this?
Does anyone know what fig is this? It just popped up...
tobybul2 - Zone 6 SW MI
Anyone have cuttings for sale
Hi I live in Toronto and I was wondering if anyone...
massimo
Need help for my fig tree cutting
Hi There, I propagated over 10 fig trees indoor from...
pacifica9231
Sponsored Products
Sovet Italia | Silla Dining Chair with Arms
YLiving.com
Galaxy Nickel Three-Light Mini Pendant with Misty Lavender Glass
$492.00 | Bellacor
Missoni Home | Narboneta Cylinder Pouf
YLiving.com
Classic Lighting Foresta Colorita Silver Frost 15-Light 29 Wide Grand Chandelier
LuxeDecor
Tibetan Stripe Collection - Nate - Oliver Yaphe
$2,100.00 | HORNE
Pre-owned Ebonized Modern Cabinet with Brass Asian Accents
Chairish
Pre-owned Mod Retro low Swivel Coconut Chairs - A Pair
Chairish
Brown Zigzag Runner
$59.99 | zulily
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™