A recent visit to Bill's Fig Farm in Pennsylvania

terry_upstate_ny(5)May 15, 2013

My DH and I traveled out of our way to visit Bill's Fig Farm in Flemington, PA a couple of weeks ago
We bought a couple of 1.5 year old potted trees while there to add to our collection. He has a vast yard of huge potted fig trees of many varieties, and many varieties for sale in smaller pots.
He gave us a brief tour, including a little greenhouse where he grows his cuttings. The fig trees in the picture are over 6 ft tall.
This is the second time we have been there. Last year we bought an Atreano fig tree that was two years old, we got some great figs from that tree last year,among the best I have ever tasted, I used an organic mix, including compost and ammendments to repot with last year.
We are growing all our fig trees in pots, since we are in zone 5.
Happy Fig tree growing everyone!
Terry

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wertach zone 7-B SC

If you don't mind me asking, how much did the 1.5 year old potted trees cost?

I am getting close to retirement and trying to think of some things to make a little extra money when I retire, for fun money. And something that I would enjoy, like starting figs in pots!

I gave away about 20 small fig trees to my co-workers this year when thinning out the big tree. They had rooted where the bottom limbs touched the ground.

They are so easy to propagate. I could start hundreds of new trees from that one big one and a lot more from my smaller ones.

Bookmark   May 15, 2013 at 2:36PM
terry_upstate_ny(5)

The smallest pots he had were $30 plus tax each with year and a half fig trees. His farm is in New Jersey not PA. Sorry about the mix up of states

Bookmark   May 15, 2013 at 6:00PM
terry_upstate_ny(5)

The smallest pots he had were $30 plus tax each with year and a half fig trees. His farm is in New Jersey not PA. Sorry about the mix up of states

Bookmark   May 15, 2013 at 9:05PM
terry_upstate_ny(5)

Bookmark   May 15, 2013 at 9:18PM
treehugger2012

I stopped buying trees from the online nurseries because I lost my face in them. I travel to fig farms there few in VA few in New jersey few in PA and delaware. I buy most of my fig trees from these farms. Also I am impressed by HD nursery supplier I just bought today two celeste fig trees 2 years old 5 feet tall with two main branches under 40 dollars with one year written warranty. Now I have 45 producing fig trees and 30 young ones All in 9 varieties. I am running out of space.

Bookmark   May 16, 2013 at 2:45AM
terry_upstate_ny(5)

Treehugger I also prefer to buy my fig trees at a nursery that I can visit so I can see exactly what I am getting. I have bought some nice trees online at ebay and Amazon, but one had transplant shock after I potted it. Checking reviews of the vendor is helpful but doesn't always tell the whole story.
Congratulations on having such a wonderful fig tree collection. I don't have as many, but collect more every year, it is a hobby that I really love!

Bookmark   May 19, 2013 at 6:44AM
More Discussions
the f4f forum
I hope the folks leaving f4f will come here as I will...
mgginva
How to prune a Ficus Lyrata.
Hi Everyone, Im new to this forum, I hope there is...
Goldie_1
Looking for Cuttings
Hi All. Been looking for fig cuttings. I have 2 Chicago...
tobybul2 - Zone 6 SW MI
Italian Honey
She was all fine on till August 2014 and then look...
bluemoonlight
New Member to the Family.
This is Newton. My first fig tree. Picked him up today....
chopstikkninja
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™