Annuals for Shade Planter?

northspruce(z3a MB CDA)May 27, 2009

I don't know why I can't think of anything besides impatiens. I have this huge concrete planter that I had to move to dappled shade under a plum tree. It's the only place it still looks good after DH ran over it with his van and broke one side off it... aaaah.

Can anyone suggest good annuals for mostly shade in a planter? That garden is all blue & white but I'll consider anything.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
oilpainter(3)

Plants for a shade planter--Begonias--I like the non-stop they are rose shaped flowers about 3 inches across in all kinds of colors, but there are many kinds of Begonias, coleus--try the lime green it really pops in the shade, fuchsia and lobelia also I have lamium and I steal pieces of it for my shade planters.

Bookmark   May 27, 2009 at 11:00PM
oilpainter(3)

Blue and white eh. Nonstop begonias come in white as does fuchia You can get several shades of blue lobelia to trail over the sides and licorice plant has silver grey trailing leaves and is one I missed before

Bookmark   May 27, 2009 at 11:06PM
sprayman

My Snapdragons do better in the shade than the sun. I even grow Petunia & A couple of Datura on the north side of the neighbors house,that did well in gumbo

Bookmark   May 28, 2009 at 1:53AM
squirelette

Schizanthus does well in the shade and pansy. Also Forget me not.

Bookmark   May 28, 2009 at 12:25PM
northspruce(z3a MB CDA)

Thanks for the suggestions! I tried to respond yesterday but GW is acting funny on my computer lately. I ended up doing blue lobelia and white begonias and double impatiens.

Bookmark   May 28, 2009 at 8:36PM
oilpainter(3)

If you got the non-stop beginias you can save the tubers for next year. If you've never done this, then this is what I do.

After frost has touched it but before it is really frozen--so the tuber isn't frozen--dig it out and cut off the top. Wash off the soil and let dry for a while. You don't want it bone dry but you don't want it wet either. Then bury it in a bed of dry peat moss in a colored container with a lid. If the container is big enough you can put in more than one. Store in a dark cool--but not freezing--place, If you have a fruit cellar it is perfect.

Around the first of February, pot it up and put it in a warm place. Don't water too much at first, just keep it moist. It doesn't need sunlight yet just heat, and patience, because it won't show growth for 3 weeks or a month. It's busy making roots. When it shows a leaf then move it into the sunlight, or under grow lights.

Bookmark   May 29, 2009 at 7:03AM
More Discussions
You can do without.....???
Okay I am about to hit the button on the checkout at...
SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
Grapes that survived (zone 2b)
all my grapes pulled through, except for a straggly...
intotheark
Reine des Violettes
Hi, I was wondering if anyone who has been growing...
true_blue (MTL CAN Z4)
Emails from Houzz?
Has anyone else gotten one? Is it for real?
marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
What do you know about blacknot?
The last 3 years or so with more moisture during growing...
Konrad___far_north
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™